Hello All,

Dale and I have been communicating about the recent problems with the Forum here at pspowerbooks.com. It has been decided to retire the Forum and move all author & conversational interactions over to Patreon.

Over the next week or so, I'll be closing down the Forum and creating redirects to start funneling visitors of the Forum over to that URL (the main website showing all the books will be staying).

Thank you everyone for your participation on the Forum these past several years! See you on Patreon!! :mrgreen:

Brent / Argy / ArgyrosfeniX

p.s. Sorry about all of the coding errors. They reset nightly these days and I can't keep up with changing the code that often... :(

Does Anyone Know How to Get a MOBI file onto a Kindle?

Visit the pub, or discuss other books..
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
PS Power
Site Admin

Does Anyone Know How to Get a MOBI file onto a Kindle?

Unread postby PS Power » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:22 am

I'm asking for a friend...

*Hides head in shame for not knowing*

I don't have fancy things like that, so I don't know how to do that, though people have mentioned it can work... So, any advice?

Please let me know and I'll save the information, so I can send it to people... (Or really, I might do a mass mailing on it...)

Thanks everyone! Your skills and talents are appreciated!

MarciaA
Global Mod

Re: Does Anyone Know How to Get a MOBI file onto a Kindle?

Unread postby MarciaA » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:41 am

Many authors send free ebooks via bookfunnel too.

It’s how they send mobi books. ;)

David
Voracious Reader

Unread postby David » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:05 pm

Amazon accepts mobi. Just send it as an attachment to your kindle address (found in settings on the kindle app), with CONVERT as the subject. They'll convert it send it to your kindle under personal documents, it should be there for all documents as well. that's really the easiest way to do it, I used to mess with doing it myself, and transferring over cable, but that takes you know, real effort ;)

Strangely
Early Reader

Unread postby Strangely » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:37 am

The first easiest thing to do is:
1. Plug the kindle into your computer.
2. Find the kindle in your File Explorer (or Mac equivalent).
3. Drag the book's .mobi file into the documents file on the kindle.
4. Thassit.

The second easiest thing to do is to use Calibre. I keep my elibrary organized in it (with 20,000 books, ya get to needing some help), and it can do format conversions as well as schlepping books onto connected devices.
https://calibre-ebook.com/

So, say I have a .mobi book and a kindle:

1. Drag the book file into Calibre. It should get imported into your Calibre library.
2. Plug the kindle into your computer.
3. Calibre should start showing a new "On Device" column (or it might give you a wizard to set up the device).
4. Right-click on the book in your Calibre library and select Send to device > Send to main memory.
5. Thassit. If the book is in a format your kindle doesn't like, Calibre automatically converts it for you (but .mobi is fine).

David
Voracious Reader

Unread postby David » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:04 pm

Agreed, that works great, and I used to use Calibre myself to convert PDF and word docs to Mobi for kindle in the past. I still use it to manage my personal e-book library for those not purchased through Amazon.

Thing is, emailing it to the kindle address is easiest, without needing to plug in anything. Plus, it works across all platforms, not just on a kindle specific reader device. Kindle app on windows, mac, iPhone, iPad, google phones, Samsung, and everything else.

Not that it's hard to get mobi files on those other platforms too. But for the nontechnical minded it's the easiest way, and one simple step that works across the board no matter what. Everyone knows how to email an attachment, not everyone knows how to copy and paste files between devices.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Off Topic”