Hello All,

Dale and I have been communicating about the recent problems with the Forum here at pspowerbooks.com. It has been decided to retire the Forum and move all author & conversational interactions over to Patreon.

Over the next week or so, I'll be closing down the Forum and creating redirects to start funneling visitors of the Forum over to that URL (the main website showing all the books will be staying).

Thank you everyone for your participation on the Forum these past several years! See you on Patreon!! :mrgreen:

Brent / Argy / ArgyrosfeniX

p.s. Sorry about all of the coding errors. They reset nightly these days and I can't keep up with changing the code that often... :(

Decades of life

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Tahg
Intermediate Reader

Decades of life

Unread postby Tahg » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:55 am

Throughout this book the terms "second decade", "third decade" and so on come up quite frequently. Unfortunately, as best as I can tell, they are all wrong. For example, a person listed in their second decade, seems to be a person in their 20's. The 20's are really the third decade of course. One explicit example: Lyse is said to be in her second decade of life. She had Anders at around 15 and he's 12 now making her age now somewhere around 27 or 28.

PS Power
Site Admin

Re: Decades of life

Unread postby PS Power » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:59 pm

Children do not count as people, because they are too likely to die in their world.

Seriously. In their world, they do not count a child as viable as a person until closer to twelve-fourteen, since the death rates for kids under that age is too high. (Though, to be fair, most children that don't make it die before the age of five.)

They have magic, but high magic and well performed medical techniques of any sort are roughly in the same range as those in our world's (Western world) 18th century.

That's also why Anders is creeping up on manhood, even if he is only twelve.

*Much like "gosberries" are not "gooseberries" in their world, there are different rules for some things involving time, dates and so on. A lot of it is rough, compared to our way of thinking. For instance, while they count the days, a birth-time would be the season you were born in, not even the month.

So, a man who is in his thirties would have "seen" two decades of life. Even at that, it could be pushed up or back, depending on how old they seem. A childless woman of twenty-five, who's small and lithe might be said to be in her first decade, even if it literally isn't true.

*This probably won't be explained in the next book, so I did it here, in case anyone cares. There is a lot more information that I have about the worlds being looked into than ever makes the page. It's like that for everything I've worked on.

:)

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Crystals of Memory”