Hello All,

Dale and I have been communicating about the recent problems with the Forum here at pspowerbooks.com. It has been decided to retire the Forum and move all author & conversational interactions over to Patreon.

Over the next week or so, I'll be closing down the Forum and creating redirects to start funneling visitors of the Forum over to that URL (the main website showing all the books will be staying).

Thank you everyone for your participation on the Forum these past several years! See you on Patreon!! :mrgreen:

Brent / Argy / ArgyrosfeniX

p.s. Sorry about all of the coding errors. They reset nightly these days and I can't keep up with changing the code that often... :(

Kindred Discussion *** SPOILERS ***

The Young Ancients, The Young Ancients: Erotic Moments & The Young Ancients: Second Cycle series.
rockhazard
Avid Reader

Re: Kindred Discussion *** SPOILERS ***

Unread postby rockhazard » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:59 pm

Talk of put me in mind of something that hasn't really been discussed before, at least not in the books. Since everyone is immortal, it follows that every criminally insane psychopath in cosmic history is an Elder God as well. In my mind, this compromises the validity of the"enemy's" arguments. If you are being influenced by billions (or more) creatures with the mentality and morality of Joseph Stalin and Ted Bundy, each with the power of literal Greek gods, then there's trouble in paradise. The implication is obvious. The well-adjusted Elder Gods (probably the vast majority of them) might be doing just fine; perhaps they're even happy. Think about it; "alone in the void" may not be what you'd expect if you have the mental ability to reach back in time to influence others. It could be that each one of them has something like the Matrix going on and is lost in a timeless wonderland, and only the Elder Gods who were crazy from the beginning are causing problems, too bored with torturing the hapless automata in their heads.

You might counter that Dareg's reaction to the void, contrasted by the many who couldn't handle a similar experience, tells a different story, but that was just the supposition of Dareg and Zack, neither of whom know the real situation at the end of time. Even Zack doesn't know if the end of time looks like the void. Neither can say what the actual experience of an Elder God is, nor do they know what such power can do for them. Nor do we have an explanation for the various hints of the afterlife made in the books, which opens up another point of debate entirely in the context of the end of time. I think it's telling that prophecy seems to work in many realities and that afterlife creatures with this capability appear to be aiding in the battle against the mad gods. After all, if you "die" into another parallel version of you, apparently without know it, what are you doing as an "angel" or other sort of spirit who can communicate with others as if you knew your old life?

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." --Jack Handey
David
Voracious Reader

Unread postby David » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:12 pm

Hmm. When he said it, it read to me as if he based her on Tiera's field pattern as a whole, not just her looks.

But I could be wrong.

Yes, Hitler was over the top, but I got the point, especially since it was something we were agreeing upon...

rockhazard
Avid Reader

Unread postby rockhazard » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:58 pm

Dareg called Samantha and Eva his daughters because they were children of his own mind. They knew much of what he knew, had his speed, and even elements of his personality. They were not really like Tiera in particular. It was even explicitly stated that Eve was parallel Tiera, not a parallel Eva.

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." --Jack Handey
brainsniffer
Avid Reader

Unread postby brainsniffer » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:50 pm

Hrm, so I'm up to the Goblin book of Infected, but it's interesting that Doug is Jake from Dead End - I still have a lot to read, I haven't even started the Gwen books yet... I wasn't even going to read some of these until someone mentioned to definitely read The Young Ancients - which has me hooked on them all ;)

Anyway, the thing I was thinking is - although they don't have the inner voice, I would have thought Jake was pretty close to Brian with the self-sacrifice, the wading into danger, the senses. I know that powers haven't always mapped to the alternate selves, but this is interesting.

Forgive me for asking stupid questions, my memory isn't always brilliant and I should possibly be looking up the wiki...

Have we ever found an alternate reality where someone powered in one wasn't powered in the other? The bit that Dale pointed out that Merry may be powered in another is interesting...

Apart from Gwen who is a special circumstance, have we found one of the characters with an inner voice where the voice was a different real person elsewhere in another reality? (is Dharma someone not a voice in Zack? Something sounded familiar there).

Is the Tor/Dareg relationship mirrored between family lines elsewhere? Father/Ben? Brian/Scott?

It seems like, apart from the Tor/Zack/Gwen/etc one of the major draws that brings these particular realities together may be that the friends/family are all together in the various realities. That is possibly just because it's more fun for Dale and us that way, but it seems like each reality has the same group around them no matter how different...

ArgyrosfeniX
Site Admin

Unread postby ArgyrosfeniX » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:08 pm

. Here I am trying to live, or rather, I am trying to teach the death within me how to live. ~ Jean Cocteau
rockhazard
Avid Reader

Unread postby rockhazard » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:53 pm

ArgyrosfeniX
Site Admin

Unread postby ArgyrosfeniX » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:25 am

. Here I am trying to live, or rather, I am trying to teach the death within me how to live. ~ Jean Cocteau
RyanM
Voracious Reader

Unread postby RyanM » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:35 am

The only character I can think of off the top of my head that isn't explicitly powered is Pran (the walking out of rhythm thing is more of a learned skill) in the Lament trilogy; not sure who her alternate personality is though.

Ronald Dukarski
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Ronald Dukarski » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:45 pm

On the subject of Pran, I do believe that Mara, the Guardian is Keeley's analogue in that universe. Dale said she's there, and Mara was at least reffered to being demon-like by pran twice. But Pran, herself I have no idea. Pretty sure the other Guardian(can't think of his name) is probably Kolb ( its the scar). Royce or Roy is most likely Gerent. Its the description of his features.

Love isn't blind-it's retarded. Charley Harper

In life, being dead, kind of means you lost. Tor

Don't drink the water, fish f**k in it. W. C. Fields
brainsniffer
Avid Reader

Unread postby brainsniffer » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:20 pm

Is Lament part of the multiverse in this? I thought it was outside of that.

SPOILERS FOR YA/DISCIPLINE/INFECTED ........

One that I haven't seen before is Mags (YA in Kolb's group?)/Mags (in Discipline)/Christian (Infected). I just finished Goblin, but I think that the first two are clear by name, but the second link - Mags in Discipline is an older mind reader who has been a hermit because of her powers and she has a sister in seclusion as well, who has powers but they didn't really know that, and Christian is the same - powerful mind reader, keeps to herself, sister is infected but has been kept to herself because she has problems with people.

I know the powers haven't been a straight linker between the realities, but the amount of similarities make me think that it's probable?

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “World of The Young Ancients”