Hello All,

Dale and I have been communicating about the recent problems with the Forum here at pspowerbooks.com. It has been decided to retire the Forum and move all author & conversational interactions over to Patreon.

Over the next week or so, I'll be closing down the Forum and creating redirects to start funneling visitors of the Forum over to that URL (the main website showing all the books will be staying).

Thank you everyone for your participation on the Forum these past several years! See you on Patreon!! :mrgreen:

Brent / Argy / ArgyrosfeniX

p.s. Sorry about all of the coding errors. They reset nightly these days and I can't keep up with changing the code that often... :(

Regional quirks?

Visit the pub, or discuss other books..
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Hillbilly
Early Reader

Regional quirks?

Unread postby Hillbilly » Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:16 pm

I'm curious if anyone else has noticed language that seems a bit "off" (not wrong but just different) shared between multiple authors and if we can connect those to geographic or generation gaps.
I'll start with one I asked our resident writer about "on accident" now where and when I come from it's "by accident and on purpose" so "on accident" seems weird and unwieldy but I know more then a couple writers that use it (rj ross, shirtaloon ...). So now I'm wondering what other little quirks are out there that I've missed

Ronald Dukarski
Voracious Reader

Re: Regional quirks?

Unread postby Ronald Dukarski » Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:07 pm

My contribution to regional quirks: different than, different from, different to. The first two I get different to ? Just doesn't sit right.

Love isn't blind-it's retarded. Charley Harper

In life, being dead, kind of means you lost. Tor

Don't drink the water, fish f**k in it. W. C. Fields
Hillbilly
Early Reader

Unread postby Hillbilly » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:41 am

Different to is one I've never seen what author(s) use it?

Ronald Dukarski
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Ronald Dukarski » Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:41 pm

Don't recall offhand, but I've read and heard it more in the last 2 or 3 years than earlier. If I'm not mistaken it has been present in European , perhaps British literature and speech predominantly.

Love isn't blind-it's retarded. Charley Harper

In life, being dead, kind of means you lost. Tor

Don't drink the water, fish f**k in it. W. C. Fields

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Off Topic”