Hello All,

Dale and I have been communicating about the recent problems with the Forum here at pspowerbooks.com. It has been decided to retire the Forum and move all author & conversational interactions over to Patreon.

Over the next week or so, I'll be closing down the Forum and creating redirects to start funneling visitors of the Forum over to that URL (the main website showing all the books will be staying).

Thank you everyone for your participation on the Forum these past several years! See you on Patreon!! :mrgreen:

Brent / Argy / ArgyrosfeniX

p.s. Sorry about all of the coding errors. They reset nightly these days and I can't keep up with changing the code that often... :(

What to read while waiting for the next P.S. Power book

Visit the pub, or discuss other books..
ArgyrosfeniX
Site Admin

Re: What to read while waiting for the next P.S. Power book

Unread postby ArgyrosfeniX » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:58 pm

. Here I am trying to live, or rather, I am trying to teach the death within me how to live. ~ Jean Cocteau
RyanM
Voracious Reader

Unread postby RyanM » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:51 am

I've thought about consolidating it all to a single table, but then I find something that sounds less like work to do.

Mark
Avid Reader

Unread postby Mark » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:05 am

Outcasts and Gods (Wine of the Gods Book 1)by Pam Uphoff.

Has anyone read this series? There are, like, 24 books in it.

Alright i just finished book two and I'm giving this series a provisional thumbs up.

It starts in America where genetic adjustment of children has been commercially available for about 20 years. When some of the more heavily engineered "test kids" hit puberty and start to display minor psychic abilities, religious hysteria causes a political backlash that sees them stripped of their human rights and repossessed from their families by the companies that engineered them. The parent company uses them as slave labor on one of their other projects. A dimensional portal to parallel earths that only works because of the children's powers. The political situation worsens over the course of several years until congress passes a bill to round up every single modified abomination, up to and including five year-olds with their sickle cell or diabetes fixed, and force them through the portal to "colonize" an Earth where humanity never evolved. A nice god-fearing Senator even hand picks them one in the middle of an ice age with evidence of frequent meteor impacts.

The second book covers the first 300 years of Exile. Including the development of "magic" to aid survival and the steady development of civilization until it's kicked over by an asteroid impact.

Shadelit
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Shadelit » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:18 pm

Book five of the founding Swarm is out now. Still going good even if I want the sixth now. And I do mean now! Lol

DAAgnew
Intermediate Reader

Unread postby DAAgnew » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:24 pm

Wine of the Gods is up to 27 now I think, plus 2 of a spin off series. Very good story covering lots of different dimensional polities to fit together.

Shadelit
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Shadelit » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:50 pm

I am now on 17 out of the wine of the gods. Lol I freaking love them.

Shadelit
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Shadelit » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:48 pm

Just finished the April series by mackay chandler, eight books so far really liked them personally. Reminded me of the old johnstone out of the ashes books.

Pyottl
Intermediate Reader

Unread postby Pyottl » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:22 am

April series has some interesting ideas, but I don't like how deus-ex-machina-esque it gets when Jeff invents whatever is currently needed and/or orbital-strikes the crap out of whoever currently makes problems. It's too easy.

I'm currently reading Wrexler's The Thousand Names. Gunpowder fantasy, split between a woman who joins the army disguised as a man, and just wants to be anonymous but obviously starts rising through the ranks, and some guy who does not dress a woman but otherwise similarly gets himself into prominent positions ^^;
Haven't gotten too far so far, and there's 3 more books (still ongoing I think) but seems to be pretty good.

David
Voracious Reader

Unread postby David » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:36 am

I'm not sure how kinetic strikes would be considered deus-ex-machina. it's a fairly straight forward thing in physics, and it's the most logical thing to do when the planet below you starts a war.

Inventing new stuff for current problems is normal, unless I'm mistaken he doesn't invent anything where there isn't a problem first, and then it's conveniently needed. One is normal and actually how things work in real life, the latter I'd agree would be a problem.

That said, I like his books but they can also get long winded and boring at times. Despite two orbital strikes, that's over ALL the books, most of the books are just normal day to day living on a station and the moon, and it's loaded with politics and spying. Sometimes there isn't near enough action to keep things interesting. I usually plow through anyway, looking for the eventual gold.

There's too much "business as usual" in the later books. But some people like that so...

Pyottl
Intermediate Reader

Unread postby Pyottl » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:49 pm

Well, I said "-esque". Yeah, they don't appear magically out of nowhere for completely implausible reasons, but it's a close thing: a) they solve very large, otherwise nearly unsolvable problems almost instantly, b) they are pretty much without drawbacks. Currently proposed kinetic strike system aren't nearly as devastating and effective as those described in the books, so I think it's justified to be a bit skeptical about what's going on there ...

And, yeah, it's normal that during war-time certain technologies rapidly advance due to a cycle of problem found -> solution developed -> new problem found -> ... but usually there are large teams of scientists working on things, not just one random kid (I'm oversimplifying). Or, say, if said kid had some fantastic idea and developed that to production, fine, but the way he goes about founding a bank, planning space ships, and shuttles, and distilling whiskey on the side, and and and ... it's just to much for me. I don't like characters that are too "Mary Sue"-ish, generally, and he counts among them.

And I agree with boring comment. For me, part is due to how the casts grows and grows and I'm just sitting there wondering why I should care. It's called "April" series, but by the latter books only some 20% or something of the scenes are about her. And she rarely does anything notable anymore, either. Makes it too impersonal to me: should've been called "The Home series" or something, to give proper expectations, I think. Space slice-of-life would be fine with me, but then it needed to be more "personal", more emotional.

Despite all that I still think it's a solid series. Or at least I can't really think of anything comparable to read, and I like it when authors explore new ideas.

Oh, and talking about kinetic strikes; I just read the 4th Loralynn Kennakris novel (military scifi, usually). Didn't like the first half much - it was oddly different from the rest of the series so far, boring/sappy home life compared to crazy space fights, but the 2nd half was fine. Loved the scene where Loralynn threatens the attack a planet by throwing space ships at it (not sure how plausible that would have been either, but it was just a bluff anyway. Or was it? ;) ).

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Off Topic”