Hello All,

Dale and I have been communicating about the recent problems with the Forum here at pspowerbooks.com. It has been decided to retire the Forum and move all author & conversational interactions over to Patreon.

Over the next week or so, I'll be closing down the Forum and creating redirects to start funneling visitors of the Forum over to that URL (the main website showing all the books will be staying).

Thank you everyone for your participation on the Forum these past several years! See you on Patreon!! :mrgreen:

Brent / Argy / ArgyrosfeniX

p.s. Sorry about all of the coding errors. They reset nightly these days and I can't keep up with changing the code that often... :(

What to read while waiting for the next P.S. Power book

Visit the pub, or discuss other books..
willallen
Avid Reader

Re: What to read while waiting for the next P.S. Power book

Unread postby willallen » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:51 pm

Shadelit, check out NC Reed. This author has some pretty interesting stories and they are LOOOONNGGG. I just finished Parno's Company, and I was supposed to be working on my next book. I got no chapters completed, but I read a really good book. Could use some diting help but I think we are all forgiving sorts here. The story itself is strong. Also try Odd Billy Todd by the same author.

Shadelit
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Shadelit » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:00 pm

Editing doesn't really throw me if the story's good. I'll hit if someone uses there instead of their, two instead of to, or the whole . , : ; bit. Hell. My essays were always hell with structure but I always hit a 100 on the content. That's really all that drives me. As long as something's understandable, and the story's there. I'm all for it. Heh. I started the Spellmonger series from the unedited draft that was put up, and I still bought every last thing Mancour's done since.

Kat
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Kat » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:29 am

The Goblin Emperor is amazing! It's all about politics and plots, and those plots are sometimes worthy of a greater demon.

manddscott
Intermediate Reader

Unread postby manddscott » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:49 am

Both of Will's books have been good reading, just not long enough.

Shadelit
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Shadelit » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:27 am

Page of Swords is out by Reeder! Now if I could just find more like it I haven't already read.
Also finished the five in Scott Rhine's Ladder series. Not bad. Jezebel's Ladder is the first. Its kinda wonky until you get halfway through but well worth it. Just a plot hole here and there. If you catch it. I'll give you a cookie.

willallen
Avid Reader

Unread postby willallen » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:18 am

Manddscott,

Thank you. Hard Rain Falling, the third book, will be longer. I've done a ton of research as well as having traveled a bit in the area so hopefully that will translate well. Also, Book Three actually features some down time in the first few chapters, which allows me to expand the "known world" a bit. As in, Luke gets to actually sit down with someone who can answer some questions for him, which only leaves him with more questions. (No spoilers here) If you've read the first two books, you will be familiar with the way I try to dole out information on the fly as opposed to dedicating pages to exposition. Book Three looks to be shaping up at around 75,000 words, but that can change.

I actually got to rereading Odd Billy Todd by NC Reed this weekend and had to fight to put down the Kindle to complete four more chapters in Hard Rain. Occupational hazard but the book is just so compelling. And long. Needs the help of a good editor but still a powerful story.

Will

manddscott
Intermediate Reader

Unread postby manddscott » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:18 am

Yeah, I thought about getting a couple of NC Reed's books, but he had too many reviews that referenced a huge need for an editor/proofreader. When the story cannot overcome the mistakes, I give up, because I would simply be focused on the mistakes after a short while. When I first read Dale's first book about Tor, I was afraid that would be the case, but the actual storyline and pace managed to overcome the errors, to the point that I now have all of his books. Some authors tell such a compelling story that even multiple mistakes are overlooked because the story is simply worth reading.

RyanM
Voracious Reader

Unread postby RyanM » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:29 am

Unfortunately, the lack of skilled editors is endemic to the world of e-publishing. Lots of people want to be writers, few people have the will and knowledge to effectively correct the errors in that writing. Writers put too much trust in spell and grammar check and neglect a good desk check. Reading their own writing a month or so after it's completely would help catch most of the basic errors.

davephipps
Early Reader

Unread postby davephipps » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:35 am

Is there such a thing as independent editors? Like what the large printing houses do, but for indie authors? Or is an economic issue: there are such editors, but the cost is too great for just-starting authors?

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Off Topic”