Hello,

We've had a recent spat of Russian spambots to our little website. It added several dozen spam accounts to the site and caused all kinds of wonderful havoc. Because of this, we're shutting down the Registration for the website for a while to stop the bots from doing what they're been doing. I also deleted a LOT of accounts that I believed to be part of the tsunami. If I inadvertently deleted your account, please forgive me and contact me to let me know. We'll get you back onsite asap.

Best wishes everyone!

Brent / Argy / ArgyrosfeniX

Zack's Powers

Line Walker, demons, vampires, shapeshifters...
daniel1948
Intermediate Reader

Re: Zack's Powers

Unread postby daniel1948 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:25 pm

I had a real potty mouth when I was a kid. Eventually I learned that overuse of profanity lessens its impact, and I began saving it for when it was really needed. Mark Twain said that in times of great stress, profanity affords a degree of relief denied even to prayer. The biggest problem with profanity today is its lack of variety. Most people just cannot swear imaginatively. Some of Shakespeare's characters were marvelously imaginative in their profanity, though of course fictional characters have the advantage of their authors' leisure time in thinking up their curses. Today, it's mostly just the f-bomb. If I were a teacher, I'd grade kids on their profanity. Too much use of the same "dirty" words would lower their grades, but really original, imaginative profanity would raise them.

What's really interesting, and telling, is that the words we consider profane are mostly the Anglo-Saxon words referring to bodily functions, while their synonyms derived from Latin are permitted. When I worked on a dairy farm in North Dakota, the stuff cows leave in their wake was always referred to by words that have come into English via Latin, and never the words that have come down from Anglo Saxon.

As for criticizing Dale's lack of proofreading, I cannot think of a better place to speak of it than on these forums. Of course, if the moderators disagree, they can deal with it in the usual ways; deletion, warnings, banning, etc. It's not as though I come here just to criticize. I don't even bother going into the forums for the series that don't interest me. I love all the books set in the Keeleyverse, so I think I'm permitted to criticize their one weakness, which is poor editing, or, I suspect, none at all.

ArgyrosfeniX
Site Admin

Unread postby ArgyrosfeniX » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:49 pm

The only thing I have for a suggestion is to start a new topic instead of hijacking a thread about Zack's powers... ;)

Feel free to add a topic to the "Off Topic" forum. If we get enough interest, maybe we can make an "error submission" forum where fans can submit corrections and maybe be given credit for assisting Dale with keeping his books awesome on all levels. :mrgreen:

-------

As for Zack's powers, I think his specialization with still be traveling. His High Demon powers will likely just increase the amount he can carry and the speed with which he can do it.

. Here I am trying to live, or rather, I am trying to teach the death within me how to live. ~ Jean Cocteau
Ronald Dukarski
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Ronald Dukarski » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:04 pm

Sorry for getting off topic, Argy. I think I agree about Zack' s traveling the lines. Every demon seems to have their own specialty. Traveling the in roads is his, but I'm sure he'll developed other's as well.

Love isn't blind-it's retarded. Charley Harper

In life, being dead, kind of means you lost. Tor

Don't drink the water, fish f**k in it. W. C. Fields
Adam
Intermediate Reader

Unread postby Adam » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:59 am

daniel if you want dales books to have better proofreading you can get in on the action. I have been helping him with it for 8 or 9 months now and i can tell you from experience that he has gotten much better at in a pretty short time considering he only has a week to go through it before it's off to me and the other people that like to help. From the looks of things you should have your chance in a few days when he will be sending out The next other places book.

Drowsy19
Early Reader

Unread postby Drowsy19 » Mon May 26, 2014 5:32 pm

Could Zack create a demon trap by 'locking' someone out of time or moving them far away by the lines?

Ronald Dukarski
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Ronald Dukarski » Mon May 26, 2014 5:50 pm

Locking someone out of time in the in-roads seems feasible but hasn't been discussed to my knowledge. Sending someone far away has been discussed and is only temporary for demons but a probable death sentence for humans, but then it wouldn't be a demon trap.

Love isn't blind-it's retarded. Charley Harper

In life, being dead, kind of means you lost. Tor

Don't drink the water, fish f**k in it. W. C. Fields

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Other Places”