Hello,

We've had a recent spat of Russian spambots to our little website. It added several dozen spam accounts to the site and caused all kinds of wonderful havoc. Because of this, we're shutting down the Registration for the website for a while to stop the bots from doing what they're been doing. I also deleted a LOT of accounts that I believed to be part of the tsunami. If I inadvertently deleted your account, please forgive me and contact me to let me know. We'll get you back onsite asap.

Best wishes everyone!

Brent / Argy / ArgyrosfeniX

Tremble in the Dark: A Gwen Farris Novel

A new world, With Magical abilities, Gwen gets a new life!
MarciaA
Global Mod

Tremble in the Dark: A Gwen Farris Novel

Unread postby MarciaA » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:33 am

Available at Amazon now!
Publication Date: November 13, 2013
The world isn't always what it seems.

That goes double when you're in an alternate reality...

Gwen Farris has made the best of her new life, helping others, solving mysteries and even, on one occasion, saving the world from things that are better left unspoken of.

Now she and her best friend, Detective Bethany Westmorland, have been called in to find out who's been murdering innocent women on the national train line. The answer turns out to be more frightening and far closer to home, than Gwen would have ever imagined.

jjmcafee
Avid Reader

Re: Tremble in the Dark: A Gwen Farris Novel

Unread postby jjmcafee » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:00 am

Wait! That means it's out. We should get some sort of release post on this site for important news like that! I'm gone - new book to read!

Never try to out stubborn a cat. Robert Heinlein
ArgyrosfeniX
Site Admin

Unread postby ArgyrosfeniX » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:45 am

Finished reading this yesterday and I pray that there is another book coming out after this!

Too much left for Gwen to do! Very surprised by the last couple of teletransports she makes - wonder if we'll ever find out what was mumbled at the end of that scene. (Trying not to add spoilers for those who haven't read the book yet.)

Wonder also about that migraine-like pain Gwen got towards the beginning and what that might mean for her powers and the whole "Katherine" thing.
Sometimes wonder if Gwen is subsuming her instead of there being an actual battle in the future.

Looking forward to the next book in the series!!

. Here I am trying to live, or rather, I am trying to teach the death within me how to live. ~ Jean Cocteau
David
Voracious Reader

Unread postby David » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:16 pm

Yeah, I was just thinking it was her getting used to using a new ability/body as well.

papasierra
Early Reader

Unread postby papasierra » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:32 am

This was a great read. Do you think there will be more?

daniel1948
Intermediate Reader

Unread postby daniel1948 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:04 pm

I enjoyed this book. I've read all the Gwen Farris books and it's a fun series. The only thing I'm a bit concerned about is that as Gwen learns to do more and more, she's becoming almost god-like. Superheroes that can do everything become boring. Superman is an example. He's the most boring of all the classic super-heroes because he has only one weakness (kryptonite). A character like Spiderman, who has one specific super-power and is otherwise plagued by all the normal human foibles, is far more interesting. I hope that in future books Gwen does not become Superman. So far I really like her.

willallen
Avid Reader

Unread postby willallen » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:07 pm

Daniel, I think Gwen has a long ways to becoming god-like, though she does enjoy having her "superpowers". Remember, the Westmorlands are all very well trained and powerful in their own right. One of the reasons Gwen is so effective because she doesn't have the built-in inhibitions of the Westmorlands, and she doesn't seem to be able to stop training or learning new things. That part about learning to transport was particularly brutal, even after she got the general idea. I would like to see her go up against another high powered magic user in the next book, and there has to be a next one at some point. Dale wouldn't abandon us with the the Rift mechanism still needing to be built. That would be using the Westmorland Protocols.

Flying is cool but extremely exhausting for Gwen and others can do it but choose not to waste the energy. She is one of the more powerful magic users in her world but I still think she is in the Spider-Man category for now. I understand exactly what you mean, though. Superman is boring. Batman has to work so much harder just to keep on top of his game.

TAPalmer
Intermediate Reader

Unread postby TAPalmer » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:18 am

I think Daniel is more right than realized, if not exactly as a god-like hero. I think back to Joel Rosenbergs' 'Guardians of the Flames' series--college D&D players actually become their charactors in a magical, medieval world. The most valued & protected isn't a fighter, or mage, or cleric, or thief. The most important person is the student that was taking engineering courses. The one that creates guns, flushing toilets, batteries and generators. That is the secret power Gwen truly brings to the kingdom--being able to take a waffle iron, melt some rubber on it, and create Nike sneakers, just from having watched a movie. Not to mention the laser sights, car headlights, etc...able to, at a minimum, enable the best ideas of Eli Whitney, Samuel Colt, Henry Bessemer, Henry Ford, Steve Jobs---THAT is a super power.

willallen
Avid Reader

Unread postby willallen » Thu May 15, 2014 10:24 am

Great point, TAPalmer. Combining things from Gwen's world with the magic should make for some interesting technological developments. Like a rifting device that doesn't need a Westmorland, for instance.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Gwen Farris”