Hello,

We've had a recent spat of Russian spambots to our little website. It added several dozen spam accounts to the site and caused all kinds of wonderful havoc. Because of this, we're shutting down the Registration for the website for a while to stop the bots from doing what they're been doing. I also deleted a LOT of accounts that I believed to be part of the tsunami. If I inadvertently deleted your account, please forgive me and contact me to let me know. We'll get you back onsite asap.

Best wishes everyone!

Brent / Argy / ArgyrosfeniX

Dragon Queen: Avery Rome Book Three Live...

New trilogy based in the Demonverse!
PS Power
Site Admin

Dragon Queen: Avery Rome Book Three Live...

Unread postby PS Power » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:56 pm

It is going live now! The link to it will be placed here as soon as it's up.

Link:

:)

PS Power
Site Admin

Re: Dragon Queen: Avery Rome Book Three Live...

Unread postby PS Power » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:31 pm

* I had to raise the price a bit, due to algorithms (or at least my attempt to play them...)

If it's too much, send me an email at power_dale@yahoo.com

I'll get you a copy to read.

MarciaA
Global Mod

Unread postby MarciaA » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:31 pm

Got it using kindle unlimited, zipped it to the end, then bought it after about half an hour. Hope you get double dips! ;)

PS Power
Site Admin

Unread postby PS Power » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:43 pm

Zipping to the end doesn't seem to work. They only count it if you read the whole thing, I think. (How do they know? I have no clue.)

:)

MarciaA
Global Mod

Unread postby MarciaA » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:51 pm

aw dang!
will do that next time.

David
Voracious Reader

Unread postby David » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:07 pm

Probably the regular sync updates with amazon the kindle app makes for furthest page read. The book should sync several times during reading showing a reasonable progression over time. Not sure if they're that clever or not to be honest. Really, it's best if you want to do that to just read it, and then buy it a week or even a month later or something, just to be sure of it. I bought my copy too, I suppose next time I'll try my idea myself.

qHnED7SnYgQs
Voracious Reader

Unread postby qHnED7SnYgQs » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:13 pm

They banned books with the TOC at the end of the book because just jumping to that would be enough to have the whole book counted for KU and there were scammers that filled books with 1000's of pages of crap and a TOC at the end...

Given that, I would assume that simply opening the book in Kindle and flipping through all the pages till the end would be enough too get them counted for KU.

qHnED7SnYgQs
Voracious Reader

Unread postby qHnED7SnYgQs » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:18 am

Just for everyone that read the pre-release version: I just compared the pre-release version and the version on Amazon and there are significant differences beyond just spelling and grammar fixes, so probably worth reading it again.

RyanM
Voracious Reader

Unread postby RyanM » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:07 am

It wouldn't be difficult to write an algorithm to detect for scammers. I can think of two ways:
1) Keep track of when a user starts and completes a book. A median pages/hour can be derived, if a person is outside a standard deviation (on the fast side), then it's probably safe to not count it.

2) Keep an average of a random sampling of readers to form a median read speed. If a reader is outside the standard deviation then take a look at the type of books they're reading and determine if they're gaming the system.

David
Voracious Reader

Unread postby David » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:33 am

Yeah Ryan, that's what I was suggesting with my post. I think the Start bookmark scam of putting it at the end of the book was killed as a temporary an quick fix measure, they must have put in a better fix since then. I know they even estimate time until end of book based on my own reading speed in the kindle app. so they surely have the capability to use that kind of usage data to defeat scammers.

Better to just read it in KU, and buy it later if you really want to do that thing. What's the point in trying to defeat the system if you're going to read the book anyway?

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Avery Rome”