Hello,

We've had a recent spat of Russian spambots to our little website. It added several dozen spam accounts to the site and caused all kinds of wonderful havoc. Because of this, we're shutting down the Registration for the website for a while to stop the bots from doing what they're been doing. I also deleted a LOT of accounts that I believed to be part of the tsunami. If I inadvertently deleted your account, please forgive me and contact me to let me know. We'll get you back onsite asap.

Best wishes everyone!

Brent / Argy / ArgyrosfeniX

Time speed differences and duplication of characters.

Forum for the discussion of all things related to The Multiverse (the intermixing of several book worlds). ;)
Forum rules
"With all the cross-reality interactions coming up now, it would make sense to have a "master" spoiler thread.

The rules are basically that the thread can contain spoilers for any P.S. Power book in the larger interconnected multi-verse (which really should get some kind of name) that is available on amazon. (So excluding books that are currently in "public" editing, but everything else is fair game)." ~ qHnED7SnYgQs
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Blame
Intermediate Reader

Time speed differences and duplication of characters.

Unread postby Blame » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:24 am

There is a bit of a problem here.

If realities travel through time at dramatically different rates then how to explain the duplication of characters?

By rights they should not be alive at the same universal time. Most should be ether dead or not yet born.

There ARE solutions but its a problem that can't be ignored.

a) There is reincarnation so the characters have a fair chance to be corporal at any time.

b) Only realities where the critical characters are around are accessible. Perhaps just more easily. That means connections can drop out or perhaps future generations of line walkers will drop into different realities.

c) This is a very special time.

d) The gods are having a laugh.

e) Realities share fashions in universal real time. Right now, regardless of how far a particular reality's history has advanced, Zacks are popular and the cool ones all have one.

My own money is on reincarnation. Sentient realities save mental energy by sharing ideas and recycling characters. Things like natural laws, trees and heartly's. Bit like authors. Nick ideas from all over, add at least one supposedly original concept and shake well.

Any other options?

Tahg
Intermediate Reader

Re: Time speed differences and duplication of characters.

Unread postby Tahg » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:33 pm

Mostly b) from what I've gathered. That is to say, there is an infinite number of universes. That means at any given moment, there's a universe in any given state. That said, from any given universe, and person, there's a set of universes that are more easily accessible than others. That seems to be universes in which the person trying to transfer is present. Beyond that, it gets more into speculation, but I'd imagine that the more common people there are between universes, the easier it is to go between them.

As for things like time speed differences and such, once a character that can transfer between does so, it appears to be the case they can do so again at a later time. Since the books cover a narrow time frame, it's hard to say what effects the divergence might cause, but I'd suspect it wouldn't affect the abilities of current characters, even if a universe may no longer be available to a character who has never been there before.

PS Power
Site Admin

Re: Time speed differences and duplication of characters.

Unread postby PS Power » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:20 am

I just now noticed this one! Sorry there, I wasn't avoiding the question. It's simple enough... Time is one factor across realities and there are an infinite number of them. On top of that, there aren't (a lot) of true duplicates.

What there is, of course, is a single being that we see parts of, as individuals. Each person is part of a greater whole, that spans millions or billions of realities.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Discussions of The Multiverse”