Hello,

We've had a recent spat of Russian spambots to our little website. It added several dozen spam accounts to the site and caused all kinds of wonderful havoc. Because of this, we're shutting down the Registration for the website for a while to stop the bots from doing what they're been doing. I also deleted a LOT of accounts that I believed to be part of the tsunami. If I inadvertently deleted your account, please forgive me and contact me to let me know. We'll get you back onsite asap.

Best wishes everyone!

Brent / Argy / ArgyrosfeniX

Multiversal Characters

Forum for the discussion of all things related to The Multiverse (the intermixing of several book worlds). ;)
Forum rules
"With all the cross-reality interactions coming up now, it would make sense to have a "master" spoiler thread.

The rules are basically that the thread can contain spoilers for any P.S. Power book in the larger interconnected multi-verse (which really should get some kind of name) that is available on amazon. (So excluding books that are currently in "public" editing, but everything else is fair game)." ~ qHnED7SnYgQs
David
Voracious Reader

Re: Multiversal Characters

Unread postby David » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:20 am

Yeah, I was thinking that same thing when she went to Mars. She's all hung up on the nudity part.

She could also make the clothes grow when in her twelve for form. Although... The tail might make that hard.

Instead of energy the the necklace part can be part of the build, and automatically change size based on the neck thickness.

Ronald Dukarski
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Ronald Dukarski » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:55 am

Or... It could be made like Trice's amulet that controls her command line power that puts most royals into "the rage" that Tor made for her that just stays with her so that it can't be lost or stolen. (OK, too many "that's", but otherwise, I'd have to write a book, and Dale already did that.)

Love isn't blind-it's retarded. Charley Harper

In life, being dead, kind of means you lost. Tor

Don't drink the water, fish f**k in it. W. C. Fields
qHnED7SnYgQs
Voracious Reader

Unread postby qHnED7SnYgQs » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:20 am

Well, when Tor started making amulets from simple stones with glowing symbols on them, it came as a huge surprise for people as that requires two independent fields (one for the actual function of the amulet, and one for the glow).

By now, this should be pretty standard for most of the more accomplished builders.

I'm surprised that nobody has taken the next step by now.

Compressed earth currently seems to be the "top of the line" material for amulets. But the "maker" type devices are able to basically create any form of matter, with every single atom placed exactly where it's supposed to go.

With that tool available, it should be possible, using the the scientific method, to find some synthetic material with the best possible balance between ease of applying a field and longevity of the field.

I would assume that external forces (temperature differences, chemical reactions, EM radiation) affecting the amulet material are a major contribution to the field decay over time.

Also, for ease of physical handling, amulets are currently probably a lot larger than they would need to be when only considering the requirement of holding a stable field over a long time.

e.g. Tiera's implanted amulets (which everyone seems to have forgotten about after the ancients moved to the moon) are much smaller.

So, instead of creating large amulets from compressed earth with an always-on secondary light emitting field, create amulets from much smaller (say, rice grain sized) pieces of some optimized synthetic material, with an always-on (or, initialize once, then always-on) secondary field based a combination of the latest shield and clothing fields.

That way it's easy to have a larger number of the rice grain sized kernels in just a small box when initially applying the field (so no more running out of space just because you need a few million shields for all the people living on Mars in the future).

Once the field is applied, you pick up one of the kernels, hit it with an "initialize" intent, and it forms an inner shield around the kernel, which is as indestructible as possible, protecting the kernel from external forces, along with an variable outer shell that can take the form of an amulet (with necklace), ring, brooch, armlet, or whatever other shape is desired (programmable in the same way as the main clothing amulets).

This should be well within the abilities of the current top builders.

OBRIB01
Intermediate Reader

Unread postby OBRIB01 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:41 am

YES! I've been thinking that ever since Tiera's Makers came out. The Bakers were all sitting around on the moon for 11 years, along with pretty much the whole Lairdgren group. Basically the entirety of the "new-style" builders. The ones with imagination. In that much time they were never sitting around shooting the shit and someone said, "Hey, I wonder if we can make a better material for this..." or "You know, I'll bet we could make it so we don't clank when we move because of the 50 amulets we're wearing..."?
The time zone thing for calling people bugs me too. I'd think something next to a person's name in their phones saying the local time for that particular device would be doable. If not that, have a nighttime feature that only let calls that the caller says is an emergency through.
They had the superstars of building all in one place with nothing to do but twiddle their thumbs until they could go back to Earth and start Ancienting. Sure, Tiera's busy being a short-tempered queen, and Tor's got his baking gig, but it doesn't seem unreasonable that as a group they'd advance their science a bit.
And also maybe make cutters have a light around the length of the "blade". Yeah, I know, imitation lightsaber, but c'mon...those things are effing DANGEROUS. knowing where the end was would just be a safety feature.
OK, rant's over. Carry on with your day.

David
Voracious Reader

Unread postby David » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:10 am

Yeah, I went with adjustable necklace as part of the field because the implant idea won't work with shifters, which had been my first thought. It would just fall out when they shifted as foreign matter, like bullets do. Although I imagine with a little thought, the field could overcome that deficiency as well.

They could also incorporate a magic field shape, like you said ,start out with rice sized bead, and then it could turn into anything. Bracelet, earing, necklace, even a ring. Hair clip? whatever really.

Tor has solved the multiple amulet thing, doesnt he have one that does like ten different things? I'm not talking about the multi-weapon, but just useful every day tings like healing, clothes, etc...

You could also make it a sticky, it could just stick to the skin where you press it against, or the amulet becomes a part of the clothes, like the magical people have teh amulet pretty much inside them right? You could even make it invisible and follow the owner around a few inches from their body. There's lots of ways to do it, so the shifters won't lose it when they transform, not even the dragons.

Ronald Dukarski
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Ronald Dukarski » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:43 pm

It seems the people of Tor's world have a blind spot in their inventiveness. Tor's form of magic was a giant leap forward in terms of building. It seems the entire population believe that " if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Evidence: For first build? A clothes dryer! So, our heroes may have reached their plateau, no? Okay, then Burks idea of magic saturation, too much of anything is not good. Still no,? How about... Dale hasn't written it in yet?

But I like the idea. Now that we have inter-universe inter-play, how long can anyone hold back from StarTreks galactic imparative #1? : Don't f**k with the fauna! Gotta happen.

OBRIB01
Intermediate Reader

Unread postby OBRIB01 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:20 pm

OK, first, sure, I know the real reason is because Dale hasn't written it in yet or it'd ruin the story.
That said, I'd buy the cultural blind spot for the Noram folks, but they've got a zillion Austrans in Harmony with them, and I wouldn't think the Austrans would have that same blind spot...they're consumers, so they'd have the constant push to develop new products and/or improvements to existing tech. That'd pretty much have to translate to magic too, right? The Austrans'd say, "You know what we had back home that it'd be nice to have up here?" Or "Man, this phone is great, but it'd be nice if it could..."

Ronald Dukarski
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Ronald Dukarski » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:32 pm

And... off on a different subject... Do we have any Austran builders yet? I can't think of any. But there must be somebody, right?

OBRIB01
Intermediate Reader

Unread postby OBRIB01 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:27 pm

There was that Austran that could make copies in the Sara book, right? He was the one that got his wife/kids abducted to force him to kill Timon? I don't remember hearing anything past that.

Ronald Dukarski
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Ronald Dukarski » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:51 pm

So many unexplored areas... Wonder if Dale will get to very many before the BIG FINALE.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Discussions of The Multiverse”