Hello,

We've had a recent spat of Russian spambots to our little website. It added several dozen spam accounts to the site and caused all kinds of wonderful havoc. Because of this, we're shutting down the Registration for the website for a while to stop the bots from doing what they're been doing. I also deleted a LOT of accounts that I believed to be part of the tsunami. If I inadvertently deleted your account, please forgive me and contact me to let me know. We'll get you back onsite asap.

Best wishes everyone!

Brent / Argy / ArgyrosfeniX

Keeley Speculation (spoilers)

Demons, Vampires, Werewolves.. oh my!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mark
Avid Reader

Keeley Speculation (spoilers)

Unread postby Mark » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:44 pm

I have a personal theory about how Zack Killed Keeley so easily. I think she let him do it as part of an elaborate deception. That whole scene hinges on two pieces of misinformation.

1. Keeley has to issue orders verbally.
2. Keeley needs the information Zack is trying to make her bargain for.

Both of these take on a new light after reading Demon Trap. It is not common knowledge but Data downloading is one of Keeley's first and strongest powers. Her deal links can download Demon minds bypassing their defenses, and after she used it on Fram the first time it became automatic. She has also begun to exert mental influence through the links, both for communication and to effect physical reality.

What this means is that as soon as she got that first deal in place with Zack she knew about the second Crucible, that he wasn't going to kill her thrice, and had an opportunity to command him at the speed of thought. Instead she puts up token kungfu resistance and gets her neck snapped. Then goes on to play out the scenario six more times before she "caves in".

Now why would she do this? I can think of a few reasons!

1. She frees all her accidental slaves. Something she's been looking for a way to do for some time.
2. It's a set up. Darla told Zack that Keeley's trump card power could be beaten if you're fast enough because she has to give orders verbally (wrong). Zack didn't have good mental defenses yet so he spread that around. Now he's killed her a few times proving that info right and showing she's weak. So, now, certain people who would have been inclined to run at the sight of her now think she's a pushover if you close with her fast enough. Lambs to the slaughter.
3. Poor Zack the dupe is left protecting all her assets thinking its his clever idea.

Korwin
Voracious Reader

Re: Keeley Speculation (spoilers)

Unread postby Korwin » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:55 am

Good theory.
I myself wondered why she doesnt use telephatic commands/instructions.

That said. I'm not shure shure... How fast is Zack really?
Master of Time and Space. Did she have time to think?

Need to reread Demon Trap, about the automatic defense bypassing...

David
Voracious Reader

Unread postby David » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:49 am

It's a good theory but there are a few issues with it.

She can command at the speed of thought, but even a weaker mind like Zack can fight. Usually demon's stiffen up and fight purely mentally when she does that. It takes a few seconds for her to overcome the target.

Zack moves through space and time so well and without effort a few seconds is entirely too long.

Secondly, although Keeley has taken well and fast to being a demon she is hung up on the sex thing, especially when it comes to her mother. I did think it was weird though that she attacked before hearing him out though.... So who knows.

Lastly, Zack had figured out how to hide his thoughts. She is more than powerful enough to read through it, but probably not experienced enough yet to actually do it, especially the strange way he does it.

Could go either way IMO.

Hokonoso
Avid Reader

Unread postby Hokonoso » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:36 am

Keeley doesn't eat enough. If her max power was say 1000 and eating is how to get there, she is probably at a 200 tops because she simply doesn't eat to full ever, I reread her books and every single day there is a line where she suppresses her hunger... it's pretty pathetic... anyone could beat her if they just attacked right away knowing this info.

David
Voracious Reader

Unread postby David » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:03 pm

She should eat more but it wouldn't make her more powerful, it would just give her a bigger well of energy to draw on so she could fight at full power for longer. Keeley's strength is ending the fight quickly with magic/deals. I don't think it would make that much difference.

That doesn't mean it wouldn't help, but for short fights, not much difference at all.

As far as anyone beating her you are underestimating Zack, remember he is contemptuous of Demon's that have lived over a thousand years because they are too stupid to use minimal energy and don't understand time and space well enough. He made the librarian look like an idiot when he effortlessly moved those statues, a task that was designed for Zack to fail. I don't think the approach Zack took would work for many others. He may be the perfect counter to Keeley's powers, but others could not do the same thing, at least not nearly as well.

Mark
Avid Reader

Unread postby Mark » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:36 pm

You're missing the point. Yes, Zack is stronger and faster than her. No way in hell is he smarter than her. So, suddenly we have Zack trying to connect the dots for her and teach her harsh lessons? Am I the only one who sees this as an unlikely reversal? Something is wrong.

Everyone is so focused on Keeley's deal superpower that they are missing the obvious. She is a Deceiver. The first thing we ever see her do is cause mayhem with a small well placed distraction. All her coolest achievements have been through lies and misdirection. Even "The Mistress of Souls" isn't the real her. So, was the entire end of Detours exactly what it appears to be on the surface? I think not.

On a different note. The scene in Detours where Darla and Zack gang up on Keels and get her to agree to slut it up with five people made no sense. Yes, she has issues with sex and people will try to use it against her. That doesn't explain why she didn't just walk away when it became clear they wouldn't bargain seriously with her. Just because someone makes an unreasonable demand in a negotiation doesn't mean they automatically win if you say no. It wasn't even over something she wanted or needed for herself. She was just relaying from Tarsus. She should have told them to go F themselves. It was a total "Tor" moment.

David
Voracious Reader

Unread postby David » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:17 pm

It's entirely possible Keeley realized or saw that weakness in herself and decided it needed to be addressed. Maybe she just argued for appearance sake and went through with it because she needed to.

You are right though, all we know is Zack's perception of events, and he may be a master of time and space but he still misses a lot. Unless it's addressed in the next Keeley book we can't draw any conclusions. It could be strait forward, or a scenario mentioned. But with Dale's mind I'm betting on option three, which is to say there is no way to know until he spells it out. Which incidentally will only be Keeley's perceptions, not necessarily all truth.

Ronald Dukarski
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Ronald Dukarski » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:02 pm

Hey guys, I think you maybe over-thinking this. Keeley is still young and although she has done admirably we'll at picking up the demon thing, she's still assimilating. She's already had an intimate relationship -with a girl- I think Zack and Darla were just trying to get her to think outside the box (snicker!) As far as intelligence goes, it's a toss-up. Keeley is deep. Zack is practical. Both quick, I dunno?

Love isn't blind-it's retarded. Charley Harper

In life, being dead, kind of means you lost. Tor

Don't drink the water, fish f**k in it. W. C. Fields

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Keeley Thomson”