Hello,

We've had a recent spat of Russian spambots to our little website. It added several dozen spam accounts to the site and caused all kinds of wonderful havoc. Because of this, we're shutting down the Registration for the website for a while to stop the bots from doing what they're been doing. I also deleted a LOT of accounts that I believed to be part of the tsunami. If I inadvertently deleted your account, please forgive me and contact me to let me know. We'll get you back onsite asap.

Best wishes everyone!

Brent / Argy / ArgyrosfeniX

Taman's IQ?

The Young Ancients, The Young Ancients: Erotic Moments & The Young Ancients: Second Cycle series.
Mark
Avid Reader

Taman's IQ?

Unread postby Mark » Thu May 15, 2014 4:16 pm

What do you think Taman's IQ would be? Or some of the others for that matter?

Before you go crazy keep in mind that the IQ scale is fuzzy and inaccurate, and that 100 is average and anything over 140 is considered Genius. For example Steven hawking is 160, and Einstein is 190. Saying she has a 4000 IQ would be completely meaningless. In fact someone with just a 400 would be so far beyond us that by definition we could not understand them. It would be like trying to explain P. S. Power fandom to a cat. We're the cat.

Ronald Dukarski
Voracious Reader

Re: Taman's IQ?

Unread postby Ronald Dukarski » Thu May 15, 2014 7:16 pm

Well, Mark, the restrictions you put in your explanation sort of preclude an answer. And, I always thought 160 was THE upper limit. I've never seen Einstein attributed 190, but I guess that brings up the point of comparing absolutes. If we were to consider an IQ of 160 to be the infinite upper limit of intelligence, any person attaining that would be considered an absolute. And comparing that person to another that attained an IQ of 160, would be like comparing two infinite sets. Which infinity is bigger? I suppose you could make the case for which infinity is stronger, but that just gets way too confusing. I'd say most of the Baker children are equally intelligent, but stronger on different points. I don't know how else to categorize them.

Love isn't blind-it's retarded. Charley Harper

In life, being dead, kind of means you lost. Tor

Don't drink the water, fish f**k in it. W. C. Fields
Mark
Avid Reader

Unread postby Mark » Fri May 16, 2014 12:36 am

ouch! I didnt mean to set limits just ask people to be reasonable.

I never heard of a 160 max limit. A quick google finds several people listed between 200 - 230, and the highest as William Sidis at 250.

Ronald Dukarski
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Ronald Dukarski » Fri May 16, 2014 6:19 am

My info is probably way out of date. It's basically what I remember about standardized testing, which is decades old. I do recall that the IQ tests of the past (my past) did have an upper limit, and anything beyond 160 was an attribution. There was no way to measure anyone that high. We probably had to change that, but I haven't kept up. So, my bad. I didn't mean to stifle the dicussion.

So, I think Tim probably takes the lead. At least for now. In my opinion he he has a deeper thought process than Tor and can nearly equal him in magic. The same goes for Tiera. I know all the kids think Tamon is da bomb but I haven't seen it yet. I'll wait for Mr. Power to fill us in on her. I don't know how to assign numbers to them, but if this Sidis guy gets 250, I think they should be approaching 300.

Love isn't blind-it's retarded. Charley Harper

In life, being dead, kind of means you lost. Tor

Don't drink the water, fish f**k in it. W. C. Fields
John Baughn
Voracious Reader

Unread postby John Baughn » Fri May 16, 2014 10:37 am

The Baker kids were all brilliant but with the original immortals they each seemed to have some specialization. Tor's focus, Tiera's eidetic memory, and Timon's perception. I think the vote is still out on Tamen but she may have a ll of them or something even better.

TO DEFEND: THIS IS THE PACT.
BUT WHEN LIFE LOSES ITS VALUE,
AND IS TAKEN FOR NAUGHT--
THEN THE PACT IS, TO AVENGE.
---Taarna
David
Voracious Reader

Unread postby David » Fri May 16, 2014 11:20 pm

I agree with John. Timon picks up on motivations and people faster than just about anyone but Tor is a better builder. Tiera builds better stuff than either even if Tor is faster when she decided to apply herself, could be partially related to her mastery of meditation.

Taman it seems will be scary better than them all at building. But who knows what else she will have. Dale doesn't do über characters, so it's probably safe to say she will be lacking in some way. Like Tiera's rage, Tor's inability to relate to others or Timon's crazy. Can't wait to see where he takes it.

Oh, I am fairly sure ALL the ancients are above the genius line.

PS Power
Site Admin

Unread postby PS Power » Fri May 16, 2014 11:33 pm

Timon is the smartest of the older kids, with an I.Q. (or the modern equivalent, as I.Q. is fading as a measure of intelligence) that should be about 220. That is to say, in the current realm of untestable. (Anyone claiming they have an I.Q. of above 165-175 is relying on a childhood test. There are caps for adults, and most modern I.Q. tests won't allow a person over 30 to test out at over 150 or so, as part of shaping due to the Flynn effect.)

So, he's very intelligent.

Tor has an I.Q. of about 160.

Tiera about 160 as well, but her memory makes it easier for her to learn new things. (Which does not help her figure out new tasks, in particular.)

Taman? I haven't decided. Probably not as intelligent as Tim, however. She's very bright, and internally driven, but that isn't the same thing. All kids seem smart when they do unexpected things.

wrightl
Intermediate Reader

Unread postby wrightl » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:04 pm

I'm fairly sure that it is possible to become smarter with field manipulation, so I would imagine that all of the builders are as smart as needed to complete the task at hand, otherwise they would make themselves smarter so that they could complete the task at hand. It kind of makes me wonder how anything could possibly challenge them?

Kat
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Kat » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:07 am

Well, half question if I got this right, talent wise:

Tiera is the fastest when it comes to learning things due to her memory, but has anger issues. On the other hand she is also a natural leader with a knack for finding ways to get things done smoothly without being forced to resort to underhanded manipulation.

Timon is the best at analytical thinking, the smartest char so far, but is somewhat insane
Both can build on Tor's ideas, apply them in different ways and improve or combine them but they're not really inventive. Almost everything they've done so far except the changing stones into other things idea was based on someting Tor did before, though the application can be vastly different of course.

Tor is an extremely focused workaholic who always reads all the fields of everything and a master of direct effect magic thanks to that focused control over his own mind as well as a very inventive person...with some rather outlandish ideas occasionally (flying rivers, giant purple dragons, direct feedback from the mind to devices and oh, let's not even mention the idea of turning a shield meant for combat to make magic houses...I mean it works, but you have to be very unusual to have so many strange ideas in such a short period of time. Timon or Tiera never would have thought of those, they're inherently too practical in their thought process). His faults are that he doesnt understand the first thing about limits (which is both good and bad) or people. He seems especially blind to a lot of emotions that he really can't seem to relate to.

Terry seems not quite as smart as Tor or Tiera, very noble and decisive plus he is apparently good at fitting in with almost any kind of crowd, be it ancients or family or a city full of orphans, not to mention every nationality around. Again, a decent wizard and amazing warrior, probably the best of the young ancients, who appears to see both magic and physical power as tools to achieve the noble goals he sets himself. From what I've read I assume that he probably won't stop trying to reach a goal no matter what happens or who tries to stop him.

Terlee seems as smart as Tor and Tiera and every time she appears I get the impression of a beatiful white silk glove with an iron fist hidden beneath, or a snake that doesn't move until just the right moment and then moves so fast nobody sees it coming. Calculating and cautious. Not evil or anything, but...just a bit scary somehow? She also seems to be the most 'noble' as in aristocratic of the bakers.

Taman on the other hand seems very smart and very conscious of basic needs, a person who sees simpler things more clearly where most of her siblings are preoccupied with the big picture. I got that impression because of the devices she makes. They're all very practical in the every day life of the more common citizen, much more so than the powerful and flashy stuff with mind controlled devices, superweapons and fancy techniques Tor, Tiera and Timon throw around. I think that would be a really great thing to get Soam back on track, to start with magic supported farming and transportation and other practical things. Who knows, maybe Soam could become vital in terraforming other planets and such later on?

Then Todd and the oldest baker son...they both seem...well...simpler, not quite as smart in Todd's case though I think the oldest is intelligent, peaceful and calm. He might become someone who could at least try to rein siblings like Terry, Tiera or Tor in when they get too far away from the normal people's lives. Probably not Timon. Not leadership material or people who would confront the powerful, but both of them might help ground the rest of the family maybe?

I have no idea about the others.

Did I get the right impression about those chars or am I way off?

David
Voracious Reader

Unread postby David » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:44 pm

To early to say on Taman. She is too young to really pigeon hole her like that. What she builds is practical and what is obviously needed but I think that's more to age than anything else.

Down to it, a lot of Tor's stuff is practical. Dry clothes, make ice, heating and cooling, hot and cold water. The "special" stuff he builds is more to a specific need. The hand to replace the one lost, the dinosaur because the ancients wanted a destructive weapon. (Could have been cordes) The house because he lost his home a bunch of times in a row, got chased out, so thought of making one that was portable. A poison detector because he was poisoned. A portable river because of a drought.

So in a way, most of that stuff was practical for the moment. He sees a need and takes care of it.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “World of The Young Ancients”