Hello,

We've had a recent spat of Russian spambots to our little website. It added several dozen spam accounts to the site and caused all kinds of wonderful havoc. Because of this, we're shutting down the Registration for the website for a while to stop the bots from doing what they're been doing. I also deleted a LOT of accounts that I believed to be part of the tsunami. If I inadvertently deleted your account, please forgive me and contact me to let me know. We'll get you back onsite asap.

Best wishes everyone!

Brent / Argy / ArgyrosfeniX

*SPOILERS* Envoy to Earth discussion.

The Young Ancients, The Young Ancients: Erotic Moments & The Young Ancients: Second Cycle series.
twips182
Voracious Reader

*SPOILERS* Envoy to Earth discussion.

Unread postby twips182 » Fri May 02, 2014 7:21 am

I liked the book and was happy with Gerent and Petra getting engaged although like Ron I did felt bad for Collette. The only thing that really bothered me about the story was Tor. You all know that I'm a Tor fan and I was very disappointed with how he was after supposedly getting "fixed". I expected him to be a stronger person and instead every scene he was in he was really just pathetic.

When he's told he'll be taking over Vagus he acts childish and whines about it.
When he finds out about Dorgal being related he freezes up and then again acts foolish to the point that people were stepping forward in case he threw a tantrum.
He's told he has to teach some students....Crybaby.
He walks up on Trice and Gerent kissing and again he just comes off as kind of lame. Not as bad as the other scenes but still.

I withdraw what I said before about him getting back with Trice. He appeared to be even more socially inept and immature then he was before he got rid of all the conditioning. Also Trice pointed out to Gerent that she had moved on and there was no point getting bogged down in what might have been anyway.

Aside from Tor I thought it was a good book and many of the other characters really moved forward as people. I look forward to the Maria book.

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.

Robert Earl Keen 1989
Hokonoso
Avid Reader

Re: *SPOILERS* Envoy to Earth discussion.

Unread postby Hokonoso » Fri May 02, 2014 8:12 am

Funny, I don't think Tor has changed at all... this is exactly how I picture him in the first 6 books...

I really enjoyed the book because of how awesome Gerent is. I actually like him more than Timon now (who was my previous favorite, never did like Tor). It is sad about Collette but honestly, Gerent has much more in common with Petra and doesn't need a spymistress as his wife...

MarciaA
Global Mod

Unread postby MarciaA » Fri May 02, 2014 8:30 am

I think Collette and Dorgal will be a very good match! :D

David
Voracious Reader

Unread postby David » Fri May 02, 2014 8:52 am

The Gerent scene would have been similar in the first 6 books, he would have been all over the responsibility though. He is a crybaby and I agree with Twips all the way. At least he had character when he was a slave. Now he just wants to hide in his bakery...

To add to that I hate how he treats Sara too, he reads everyone now so he can't be unaware of it. He's basically an a*cough* now.

He is even immature enough to still be upset about the school bully. Get over it already.

twips182
Voracious Reader

Unread postby twips182 » Fri May 02, 2014 9:01 am

Thank you David I was about to respond but you summed it up better then I could. I also agree about the Sara thing and I'm glad you added it.

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.

Robert Earl Keen 1989
John Baughn
Voracious Reader

Unread postby John Baughn » Fri May 02, 2014 9:21 am

Actually there were a lot more issues with Tor. Sara saying she was being put off by him seemed HUGE to me. After Ancient Kings and how even Ali was claiming Sara that stood out big time to me. Tor always liked him some Sara and Trice so with Trice being off limits then Sara should be waking up with Tor and Ali everyday in Harmony.

Though I think Tor was changed a great deal more than we anticipate with the removal of Cordes. Losing a big section of your personality had to take it's toll. Petra and Ger make a great couple and and setting up Collette with Dorgal was interesting but contrived to me. Yeah the meeting with Tor and Dorgal went strangely but without knowing more about Tor's condition it is speculation. The big thing about Tor is that nobody really spoke well of him. He was such a big focus in the first arc and now it seems many characters would just like to see him put out on the lunar version of the country estate.

TO DEFEND: THIS IS THE PACT.
BUT WHEN LIFE LOSES ITS VALUE,
AND IS TAKEN FOR NAUGHT--
THEN THE PACT IS, TO AVENGE.
---Taarna
MarciaA
Global Mod

Unread postby MarciaA » Fri May 02, 2014 10:35 am

Geezzzz everyone! Tor just went through major changes, again! He's got to be confused on what's right for responding to situations, and doing the best he can at this time. He's probably still spending most of his time building, to cope, so not getting much adjustments in interacting with people.
Or he's just a changed personality now.

I feel sad for Sara too tho....
Hoping she meets her prince charming soon!

willallen
Avid Reader

Unread postby willallen » Fri May 02, 2014 11:27 am

I think Marcia kind of hit the "Tor-nail" on the "Tor-head". We all remember how much the Cordes personality seemed to step in and help Tor when he was overwhelmed, and now, he doesn't have that safety net. Moreover, no matter how skilled Timon was, Tor surely must have experienced some damage as a result of the procedure. I don't know why he was acting the way he did towards Sara. I blame Dale.

As for the rest of the book, I was pleased to see Petra and Gerent together. Collette and Dorgal also makes sense given their shared background in intelligence and such. Funny, but my comments in "What minor characters we would like to see more of" asking for more Petra, Terlee, and Count Thomson makes this book just about perfect for me.

willallen
Avid Reader

Unread postby willallen » Fri May 02, 2014 11:28 am

Plus, I KNEW there was more to the story of Petra and Count Rodriguez!

whomightub3
Intermediate Reader

Unread postby whomightub3 » Fri May 02, 2014 3:26 pm

Yeah, a lobotomy is a lobotomy no matter how you spin it. He's been through 2, one when Green's conditioning was removed and another when Cordes was removed. He should be in mental free fall, why he's not completely insane or a vegetable is a better question than why he's a crybaby. Something must of happened to him after Tim removed Cordes for him to even be functional. Maybe an unknown side-effect of his magics?

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “World of The Young Ancients”