Hello,

We've had a recent spat of Russian spambots to our little website. It added several dozen spam accounts to the site and caused all kinds of wonderful havoc. Because of this, we're shutting down the Registration for the website for a while to stop the bots from doing what they're been doing. I also deleted a LOT of accounts that I believed to be part of the tsunami. If I inadvertently deleted your account, please forgive me and contact me to let me know. We'll get you back onsite asap.

Best wishes everyone!

Brent / Argy / ArgyrosfeniX

YA 2nd Arc Speculation

The Young Ancients, The Young Ancients: Erotic Moments & The Young Ancients: Second Cycle series.
John Baughn
Voracious Reader

Re: YA 2nd Arc Speculation

Unread postby John Baughn » Fri May 16, 2014 12:24 pm

I still don't trust Smythe. I could see Tor just removing him as a danger...

TO DEFEND: THIS IS THE PACT.
BUT WHEN LIFE LOSES ITS VALUE,
AND IS TAKEN FOR NAUGHT--
THEN THE PACT IS, TO AVENGE.
---Taarna
willallen
Avid Reader

Unread postby willallen » Fri May 16, 2014 4:43 pm

John, I don't know if it is liberal or conservative, but Harmony sounds like a paradise either way. So of course Dale is going to throw a monkey wrench in there. Though, might not be a bad idea to use Harmony as a reward for hard work for people involved in the recovery effort back home. Do a six month tour in Soam, then earn six months in Harmony to rest and recover.

As for Smythe, I would love to read a conversation between newly immortal Smythe and newly Cordes-free Tor where they discuss their trust issues.

As for picking someone you don't trust to just end, my choice would be Kurt Debri. Sorry, Sarah, he's got to go out the airlock. As Tiera once described him, "rapey".

David
Voracious Reader

Unread postby David » Fri May 16, 2014 11:10 pm

I don't think it's either. It's a peculiar mix of a monarchy and communism. It works for the simple reason greed isn't a factor. If someone wants something they can get it. There is no drain on resources because they are unlimited. In that kind of climate almost any government will work.

Not sure what is liberal about it, care to explain more?

I don't think Smythe is a problem, but I could be wrong there, depends on where Dale takes it. But Tor didn't kill Smythe when Smythe was trying to kill him. Since then they have worked together and came to an understanding. Tor is clueless and sucks at relating to people, but he only kills those who really really need killin.

John Baughn
Voracious Reader

Unread postby John Baughn » Sat May 17, 2014 11:00 am

Incredibly liberal considering that access to pretty much any resource is free and equal. Add in that effort is considered highly valuable not just skill, with most people respectful of others comfort and ideas.

It really would not be a conservative hallmark to distribute or make available that level of sharing and equality.

There are holes of course, with the Noram nobility system still somewhat in play among the top builders but when the mages come to power that will shift some balances...

---Taarna
willallen
Avid Reader

Unread postby willallen » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:13 pm

John, great point about Noram nobility system. For every Tovey or Count Peterson you have, where the nobles actually recognize the obligations equal to their power, there seem to be three or more more like Countess Callwood or the old Count Morris (and the list goes on and on) who aren't work the price of the cutter needed to decapitate them. Or something like that.

Best thing Tiera can do is institute a merit based aristocracy in Harmony with something like a life state, so no hereditary titles. This might ease the eventual transition away from absolute ruling nobility with Harmony as an example for Noram. I think many folks in Noram are still confused by the lack of nobles in Austra, and equate elections with mob rule. Not far from the truth it seems these days, but I digress.

David
Voracious Reader

Unread postby David » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:17 pm

Seeing as she is immortal she should just stay in charge and kill anyone in her way!

Only half joking....

willallen
Avid Reader

Unread postby willallen » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:22 am

Good point David.

On a related point, I like how Tiera and the other Baker kids seem to get the idea that holding grudges or nursing hurts is a bad idea when interacting with people who you might have to deal with for hundreds, or thousands, of years. Even Timon seems to be over his anger at Tor, as evidenced by his nearly fatal effort in saving his big brother.

whomightub3
Intermediate Reader

Unread postby whomightub3 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:02 pm

I can see lunar problems in the long term. Once the Lunar colony stops being a colony and becomes a real country, the total mass of the moon will start to noticeably increase. This problem wont stop until a structure and person limit is agreed upon. But this is with a trillion person county, so I think they have several hundred years to worry about that. But then again, with an average of two hundred year lifespans, zero health problems, and unlimited immigration, we could see a massive population boom of legendary proportions just out of sheer boredom.

MarciaA
Global Mod

Unread postby MarciaA » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:06 am

Just thought I'd share in case you all don't check the blog page once in awhile....

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Weebly Blog Comment

Alex has just posted a comment on your blog post, If you have questions
about the books, or anything, I guess this is the place to put it. Or
the forum. ;) [2]:

I've read all of the books in the Young Ancients series over at least 5
times. It's the only series I've ever re-read. I do admit that I've only
ever read the ones where Tor is the main character. I can't bring myself
to read the others because.... Tor. I friggan love the guy.

My main question is if you plan on writing anything else where Tor is
the main character? If not, I'd understand due to the fact that there's
not much story you can get from a guy who basically became a god. No
strife in that type of life. However I'd seriously appreciate it. Just
sayin.

Love your work!

and the reply from Dale:

Tor will have books (as the main character) in the next arc. Probably three of them.

Thanks!

Dale

and Alex, if you see this, you REALLY need to read all the rest of the books to be able to follow along on the new Tor books that will be out, or you won't understand alot of what's going on or why. All the rest in the series are EXCELLENT reading material too!!!!! Tor is also part of some of the others too, and things that happen to him, so just saying... read the rest. ;P

John Baughn
Voracious Reader

Unread postby John Baughn » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:29 pm

I would agree with Marcia on reading the other books, it is a much bigger story than even Tor can handle.

I almost did not read the rest of the infected books because of Gabriel. I thought he was an ass in the first book. I am so glad I did because the whole story is fantastic.

:)

---Taarna

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “World of The Young Ancients”