Hello,

We've had a recent spat of Russian spambots to our little website. It added several dozen spam accounts to the site and caused all kinds of wonderful havoc. Because of this, we're shutting down the Registration for the website for a while to stop the bots from doing what they're been doing. I also deleted a LOT of accounts that I believed to be part of the tsunami. If I inadvertently deleted your account, please forgive me and contact me to let me know. We'll get you back onsite asap.

Best wishes everyone!

Brent / Argy / ArgyrosfeniX

Terlee Book

The Young Ancients, The Young Ancients: Erotic Moments & The Young Ancients: Second Cycle series.
Kat
Voracious Reader

Re: Terlee Book

Unread postby Kat » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:14 pm

And sometimes people are REALLY old and sometimes they have a few hundred chars they have to keep straight and in the right locations. Let's say he's writing about the capital. First question: who is in the capital at that moment? And what are those people doing there? Who gets along with whom, or not, or maybe they were ex lovers or whatever? From which point of view should he write and how should he taint the story to accomodate that char's view of things (which might not be completely what's going on). And what do those chars that char interacts with have planned (since even the kids have their own plans)?!? Oh and who has died in the meantime in some battle or other, possibly somewhere the reader didn't see and how to hint at stuff that's happening elsewhere but never explained completely - like the thing with the huge pack led by Arya's darling pet?
Those books are hugely complicated - possibly the most complicated series out there ever - so writing the story AND keeping every detail right must be incredibly difficult. Dale's books are child's play in some aspects. For example he has a few locations and maybe three dozen chars that play some kind of role in the big picture. Those chars usually form four or five groups with different interests.
Martin on the other hand has more than 1000 chars by now, dozens of different places and more than a dozen cultures with different standards and so on, every single character has their own agenda that might just break another one's plan by accident and in passing like dominoes and he doesn't have one big picture but about eight of them? The situation beyond the wall, the kingdom falling apart in the worst of times, the southern slave revolution (Danny) and their search for freedom and its problems and all that, The free cities that are probably running towards their own downfall by not noticing anything but their own needs, The infighting and intrigue at court ant the trouble that brings, showing noble actions - and failures - as well as despicable ones, to prove that good and brave doesn't necessarily win and fair is a childish concept, the total disregard of commoners beyond a few noble motives here and there and...lots of other stuff too.

Martin must be cursing himself for making stuff so complicated.

RedWolfeXR
Intermediate Reader

Re: Terlee Book

Unread postby RedWolfeXR » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:37 am

Biggest part of the delay is likely Big Publisher who usually take about 6 months minimum to edit promote and package a new book. Generally they only have so many slots and any year you see more than one or two books from an author is an exception. That's why the more prolific authors that go that route tend to use multiple publishers.

The direct to ebook model is very new, and it's very fast in comparison to traditional publishing. The lack of filtering makes it a bit more work to find the good books though. It does allow much lower numbers to make a living at it. Especially one you have a good enough backlist.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “World of The Young Ancients”