Hello,

We've had a recent spat of Russian spambots to our little website. It added several dozen spam accounts to the site and caused all kinds of wonderful havoc. Because of this, we're shutting down the Registration for the website for a while to stop the bots from doing what they're been doing. I also deleted a LOT of accounts that I believed to be part of the tsunami. If I inadvertently deleted your account, please forgive me and contact me to let me know. We'll get you back onsite asap.

Best wishes everyone!

Brent / Argy / ArgyrosfeniX

War day: This title may change... :)

The Infected, The Infected: Ripped to Shreds & The Infected: Mirror Man series.
Ronald Dukarski
Voracious Reader

Re: War day: This title may change... :)

Unread postby Ronald Dukarski » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:10 pm

Two reasons: although I have, and use a laptop,it's been years - about two- except for taxes, since I've used it (to update all the programs? ...KA-KA!) Then there's the fact I'd be too tempted to actually not purchase a copy. Dale deserves the royalties, and I don't want to make myself look bad to me.

Love isn't blind-it's retarded. Charley Harper

In life, being dead, kind of means you lost. Tor

Don't drink the water, fish f**k in it. W. C. Fields
David
Voracious Reader

Unread postby David » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:31 pm

Well, considering I use office word 2007, you're two year old laptop is probably good.

I do purchase the books anyway when they come out, then let it sit there and reread the book a month or two later. So you could say the guilt works on me... LOL. He definitely deserves the royalties.

bdrosen
Intermediate Reader

Unread postby bdrosen » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:06 pm

I'm not sure what using a laptop has to do with things. Since the books appear to not be in print format for the majority of them, I assume you read with either a computer (laptop) or an ereader. In either case you could do the same:

1 If the computer, then reading the book there is no different except instead of Kindle for PC you could use Word or Open Office.

2 If the ereader, you can convert the document to a PDF (using Open Office) and import into a program like Calibre. From there you can convert to MOBI or EPUB and load to your ereader. This is possible using only free software.

Note that I have done editing on two different ereaders, a Kindle Touch and a Kobo Aura. Most of the Touch based readers let you annotate (ie highlight) . Once done, it is easy enough to page through the annotations while updating the original documents with @. Not sure what you would do with a non touch reader though. I don't recall if my Kindle Keyboard had something similar to annotations. Worst case you could take notes with pen and paper :)

As for being tempted to not purchase it, I can't answer that. I can say that I have gotten editing copies of many of his books and I have also purchased every one of them because it is the right thing to do. (I do the same with other free books I read if I like them and there is an ebook version available for purchase in parallel with the free option) Ultimately, it is of benefit to me to do so since most of the authors this impacts do not make best seller money from writing, so every purchase matters if we want to make sure they can afford to continue writing. Also, it may make a difference in whether they write full time or part time, and therefore how long readers need to wait for a new book.

That being said, I imagine that not everybody is willing to spend what I do on books, so for some people it may make a difference in how many books they purchase in a given month, in which case not paying for a book you enjoy might be more compelling. The two ends of the spectrum that I have seen on this boards appear to be:

1 People who are looking for more recommendations for books to read because they have exhausted the books they know and like and are looking for similar books they have not come across yet. ie availability is the primary constraint, not cost, although cost may be a factor.

2 People who are looking for more recommendations for books to read because they don't want to waste money on books which may be enjoyable, but not outstanding (ie 3-3.5 stars) ie cost is the primary constraint.

As somebody in category #1, I would hope that other people in category #1 would tend to purchase books, even if they get an editing copy. However, I can understand why some people in category #2 might not.

An alternate version of #2 might be people who are not limited by cost, but by time available for reading. For the purpose of number of books read, they might look the same, but for the case of prereading they would likely be different in that I think the time needed for editing would be problematic. They might want the book early simply to avoid waiting, but decide to purchase the book to reward the author rather than send back any edits.

Ronald Dukarski
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Ronald Dukarski » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:53 am

As I understand it, Dale sends out the manuscripts as a word document. Although I can read and possibly edit such work on a pc or Mac, the Kindle I use almost constantly now does not offer itself to editing in such a fashion. I can send, receive, print, compose within the Kindle itself, but I know of no app capable of importing a word document and editing it in a android setting. (I can't even use flash player. - cross compatibility issues.) And , ok, it's too much like turning in homework- I always hated that.

David
Voracious Reader

Unread postby David » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:35 pm

Basically what it comes down to is either suck it up and help, or suck it up and wait :)

Either way it's all good.

Ronald Dukarski
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Ronald Dukarski » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:20 pm

Thanks Marcia,(wink, wink) and David? I take it you just want me to suck it? Up, I mean, I guess I deserve that. But I've said it before, I really appreciate all of Dale' s editors and first reader's, and I've also confessed to being lazy, so there's that. So, how about them Mets?...

David
Voracious Reader

Unread postby David » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:28 pm

I was just trying to lighten things up a bit.

The Mets? I hear a couple of em have really good golf scores...

LORD OF THE NEXUS
Intermediate Reader

Unread postby LORD OF THE NEXUS » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:44 am

The mets? No I thought they had really good touchdowns??? But anyway Ron the genie, your reasoning is almost exactly why I don't ask for a copy myself, plus I would probably get lost in the story and forget why I was supposed to be going through it

You can't always choose who you let into your life, but you can choose which window to throw them out of! Duke

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “World of The Infected”