Hello,

We've had a recent spat of Russian spambots to our little website. It added several dozen spam accounts to the site and caused all kinds of wonderful havoc. Because of this, we're shutting down the Registration for the website for a while to stop the bots from doing what they're been doing. I also deleted a LOT of accounts that I believed to be part of the tsunami. If I inadvertently deleted your account, please forgive me and contact me to let me know. We'll get you back onsite asap.

Best wishes everyone!

Brent / Argy / ArgyrosfeniX

Tyler G Discussion thread! Spoilers! Gangsters! Schoolgirls!

The new Trilogy set in the Demonverse!!
PS Power
Site Admin

Tyler G Discussion thread! Spoilers! Gangsters! Schoolgirls!

Unread postby PS Power » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:48 am

What, people are going to get upset because there aren't enough gangsters? Really? There are some, if you look hard enough.

I'm also trying out the pspowerbooks look for this. Is it too distracting?

MarciaA
Global Mod

Re: Tyler G Discussion thread! Spoilers! Gangsters! Schoolgi

Unread postby MarciaA » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:34 am

Wow! I thought I was redirected to the website at first. It looks good though, I like it.

ArgyrosfeniX
Site Admin

Unread postby ArgyrosfeniX » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:53 am

. Here I am trying to live, or rather, I am trying to teach the death within me how to live. ~ Jean Cocteau
Kurbz
Intermediate Reader

Unread postby Kurbz » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:48 am

hey not to sound homophobic or anything but is there much male on male stuff in the 3 books? for some reason I really struggle reading that kind of stuff, I generally avoid any books with a gay/bi male main character because for me when reading it's very personal, it's like I'm emulating the main character, but if the character is too different to me it throws me out of the story and I can't keep reading. I want to see what happens though in the continuation of the other places series though so I'm in a bit of a quandary :(

RyanM
Voracious Reader

Unread postby RyanM » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:48 am

I finished reading all through over the weekend. I'm trying to decide if I like where the story ended up.

First, I think the feminist thing was a bit heavy handed. I don't disagree with the arguments made (as evidenced by our rather lengthy discussion on the boards a couple months back), but it all came across as rather preachy and derailed the story a bit. Something that's kinda scary is the Christian brainwashing camps actually do exist. I highly doubt they actually kidnap anyone, but they do try to "pray the gay away."

I've voiced my feelings on ultra-powerful characters before and I feel Tyler G is well onto that path.
In my opinion, he's just too damn strong:
Demon's aren't much of a threat.
He can kill (or at least remove their feeder links) a Vampire at will with no effort.
Mages can't touch him due to his ability to nullify magic.
He can heal physical damage as fast as he takes it.

I guess one of the Demons could leave him stranded on the In Roads, they could somehow imprison him, or The Rotted could simply melt him if he became a problem. If he ever learns how to use entropic forces to fuel magic, he effectively becomes a god.

One of the things I'm really curious about is Tyler and Eve's conversation about other worlds. Does that mean we're likely to see some world hopping soon? If their world is coming to end, and that seems to be the direction things are going, it would they walk the lines to find a new home? Zack kind has a lead on one with where he dumped his parents.

David
Voracious Reader

Unread postby David » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:43 pm

@gougef

Taken out of context I would agree. Problem is some of us put ourselves in the mindset of the protagonist. It makes for better entertainment and depth of experience while reading a book.

Bottom line: Just because we aren't homophobic doesn't mean we want to imagine ourselves having relations with guys. That isn't the same as being afraid or hating same sex couples. Far from it. It's the difference between acceptance of a point of view and holding that point of view.

A less emotional subject would be lentil soup. I hate lentil soup, the idea of eating it turns my stomach. But that doesn't mean I hate or don't accept others who like lentil soup. Sure, I think they're a little nuts, cause that stuff is gross, but more power to them and all that. I even have friends that like lentil soup... ;) That last line was a joke BTW...

Enough said.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Tyler G”