Hello,

We've had a recent spat of Russian spambots to our little website. It added several dozen spam accounts to the site and caused all kinds of wonderful havoc. Because of this, we're shutting down the Registration for the website for a while to stop the bots from doing what they're been doing. I also deleted a LOT of accounts that I believed to be part of the tsunami. If I inadvertently deleted your account, please forgive me and contact me to let me know. We'll get you back onsite asap.

Best wishes everyone!

Brent / Argy / ArgyrosfeniX

Super Speed

The trilogy, based in the Demonverse.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
RyanM
Voracious Reader

Super Speed

Unread postby RyanM » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:59 pm

While reading the trilogy for the second time I got to thinking about Eve's internal jokes about becoming a super hero and that got me to wondering: what would happen if she carried a human, or equally fragile, passenger with her as she zooms about? If she saw a burning building, could she evacuate the people safely or would using the super speed cause them damage? I'm not referring to things like inertia shifts since explained several times as a time dilation effect. How would that dilation effect human physiology? Would it cause some sort of weird damage or would they perceive it as simply being teleported or experiencing time the way vamps at that speed do?

willallen
Avid Reader

Re: Super Speed

Unread postby willallen » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:29 pm

My suspicion is that at the higher end of her speed equation, her human passengers would got splat. Maybe there is a protected field around the user, though, or else her clothes and shoes would catch fire from the friction. I think the effect Dale describes, that they aren't really running but walking at what seems a regular pace but with cars standing still around them is really cool. Almost to the point of Stasis from the Infected, except with terrible, burning pain. Here's my vote, again, for more Eve.

RyanM
Voracious Reader

Unread postby RyanM » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:56 pm

I don't think they would go splat since there's no inertia outside of normal walking. She's (and all of Bey's line) bend time around them so their time bubble is moving much faster than outside the bubble. That explains why she experience weeks of boredom when traveling long distances.

I guess the reaction would depend on if the time bubble effects human physiology. If it does, then they could potentially starve or dehydrate. If it doesn't then their minds and bodies would effectively stop.

NickD
Early Reader

Unread postby NickD » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:39 pm

i remember a line with something about reality bending like the demons do.

David
Voracious Reader

Unread postby David » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:19 pm

It's basically magic, so I'm not sure the laws of motion count. Zack describes it pretty well in the third book I think, and notes the vampires really don't understand what they do themselves.

PS Power
Site Admin

Unread postby PS Power » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:51 pm

I don't know what would happen if they carried a person for months on end. (Experiential.)

When Stasis does it, the mechanism is such that the body being carried sufferers no effects at all from it. With Eve, or Bey? There would probably be some issues. Then, no one would offer to carry another person across country, unless it was an emergency.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Eve Benson: Vampire”