Hello,

We've had a recent spat of Russian spambots to our little website. It added several dozen spam accounts to the site and caused all kinds of wonderful havoc. Because of this, we're shutting down the Registration for the website for a while to stop the bots from doing what they're been doing. I also deleted a LOT of accounts that I believed to be part of the tsunami. If I inadvertently deleted your account, please forgive me and contact me to let me know. We'll get you back onsite asap.

Best wishes everyone!

Brent / Argy / ArgyrosfeniX

Character research?

Alternate Places: A very different take on the Other Places reality.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
mickeymills
Intermediate Reader

Character research?

Unread postby mickeymills » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:59 pm

From what sources do you get information for your books, like training for characters, random facts, meditation techniques and so forth? I mean there is a definite theme of information in most if not all of your books, it all seams pretty cohesive too. Just wondering. :?: :)

PS Power
Site Admin

Re: Charactor research?

Unread postby PS Power » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:35 pm

Some of the basic information, like meditation and how various fighting systems work (everyone ignores that last one, sigh) comes from decades of personal practice. I do throw in some differences from time to time, and focus on parts of things that create shifting in the written work (as compared to this reality) but they are things I know fairly well, on a person practice level that it doesn't take much data sifting to figure out.

Other things are simply researched, as definitive projects. For instance, I'm currently working with human generated Infrasound techniques, and may incorporate a version (dressed up and made spiffier, since, face it, that's the good part of fiction!) in the next set of books I work on. (After Gwen, which I should have finished in a few days, getting ready to edit at that time.)

Other things I just look up. (Google!)

Do you have specifics to ask about? I can clarify, on individual topics.

mickeymills
Intermediate Reader

Re: Charactor research?

Unread postby mickeymills » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:09 am

Well I was actually primarily interested in the meditation and martial arts aspects of that kind of thing, I wondered if you practice them (some or all aspects) if so where you got training, if you got training, how they affect you compared to before you started.

(on a more invasive personal note) I was also wondering what drove you to get into that aspect of training?

PS Power
Site Admin

Re: Character research?

Unread postby PS Power » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:09 pm

It would take a book (if a small one) to describe those aspects of my being. I've studied and practiced martial arts from age nine, and devoted a level of attention to it that is... Probably a sing of obsession.

I practiced meditation for thousands of hours. Daily for nearly three decades.

Now, why? That's a good question. To collect unusual capabilities. It's what I do, in my spare time, even now. :)

mickeymills
Intermediate Reader

Unread postby mickeymills » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:25 am

what a nice leading statement, what other unusual capabilities do you have?

PS Power
Site Admin

Unread postby PS Power » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:06 pm

Mwa-ha-ha!

You will never know all my secrets! Never!

Unless, you take them out of the books. I mean, they aren't really hidden. (No, I can't fly, or produce useful force blasts. Just tiny ones.) (*Yeah, I can back that one, but it really isn't impressive.)

mickeymills
Intermediate Reader

Unread postby mickeymills » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:01 am

A Challenge! I must think on this!

MarciaA
Global Mod

Unread postby MarciaA » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:50 am

Heh, tiny force blasts are still more than I can do and impressive !

Ronald Dukarski
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Ronald Dukarski » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:52 am

The force blasts I produce are QUITE impressive. My wife says they're worse than the dog's.

Love isn't blind-it's retarded. Charley Harper

In life, being dead, kind of means you lost. Tor

Don't drink the water, fish f**k in it. W. C. Fields
mickeymills
Intermediate Reader

Unread postby mickeymills » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:46 pm

I'mthinking so far definitely cooking/baking, a healthy interest in physics, and herb lore as well I would think.

I don't know, I'm still thinking on it.... if anyone else has any ideas please mention.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Alternate Places”