Hello,

We've had a recent spat of Russian spambots to our little website. It added several dozen spam accounts to the site and caused all kinds of wonderful havoc. Because of this, we're shutting down the Registration for the website for a while to stop the bots from doing what they're been doing. I also deleted a LOT of accounts that I believed to be part of the tsunami. If I inadvertently deleted your account, please forgive me and contact me to let me know. We'll get you back onsite asap.

Best wishes everyone!

Brent / Argy / ArgyrosfeniX

Zack v. Kaitlyn Fight

Alternate Places: A very different take on the Other Places reality.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Darrin
Intermediate Reader

Zack v. Kaitlyn Fight

Unread postby Darrin » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:00 pm

What I found interesting is that a man who has defeated a 600 year old Vampire in single combat and four arch-demons in battle can’t handle or even get away from a 17 year old girl.
My assumption is that in later books we will be told that he intentionally allowed himself to be defeated so that she could “Assume her Destiny”.
Anyone else want to comment?

David
Voracious Reader

Re: Zack v. Kaitlyn Fight

Unread postby David » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:19 pm

Probably just reluctantance, although that's only an opinion. Plus, he did get his butt handed to him by an overweight normal human. The difference was he was reading people and ready for it when he took out the vamp.

So... Really it's not that hard to explain a bunch of different ways. Or even a combination. He also knew she didn't want to kill him probably, just punish or teach a lesson. Then there is the guilt factor...

Jevs21
Early Reader

Unread postby Jevs21 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:20 pm

Having read the books a couple of times now (being off work sick with a couple slipped disks). Sack can talk/read with the hidden/deeper mind, what I'm thinking is he knew what she was mad about (he admitted it a little later) and knew he must be punished. To that end a major as whooping!

Let's be honest we have all been there as kids knowing that what we did was wrong and deserved a good old fashioned spanking. The cultures in the books are different than real would events but it's still the same idea behind them. He was wrong, he knew it and Kate (I think we can use her friend only names as we are pretty much stalking her as we read all about her life) responded as per her upbringing and culture demanded. She may have gone a bit OTT (I'm not saying hitting kids is wrong or right) but as a being of strong emotin she let rip in anger.

And when he gets to heaven,
To saint peter he will tell;
"Just another soldier reporting, sir
I've served my time in hell."
rockhazard
Avid Reader

Unread postby rockhazard » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:55 pm

The problem here is that when you let someone punish you, you aren't really being punished. Coercion is a key aspect of punishment. Without it, "punishment" is rarely corrective. Sure, it may have made Zack feel better, but it didn't really do much for his behavior in itself. That means the beating had no value for Kate and the others. Hell, Zack even graciously told his captors that he'd stay imprisoned until Kate decided he should come out. As punishment, it was a joke. That doesn't mean it didn't have value for anyone, but it wasn't what she was really after either: evidence that she can correct his behavior through violence. What corrected his behavior was her vow to hate him if he abused his victims again (emotional coercion). I get that for some people the beating would be required for that message to get across that the person was serious, but Zack demonstrably isn't one of those people -- since, you know, reads Shadows.

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." --Jack Handey

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Alternate Places”