Hello,

We've had a recent spat of Russian spambots to our little website. It added several dozen spam accounts to the site and caused all kinds of wonderful havoc. Because of this, we're shutting down the Registration for the website for a while to stop the bots from doing what they're been doing. I also deleted a LOT of accounts that I believed to be part of the tsunami. If I inadvertently deleted your account, please forgive me and contact me to let me know. We'll get you back onsite asap.

Best wishes everyone!

Brent / Argy / ArgyrosfeniX

Book 3

Alternate Places: A very different take on the Other Places reality.
Ronald Dukarski
Voracious Reader

Re: Book 3

Unread postby Ronald Dukarski » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:34 pm

What the matter with you people? Can't you see Cavendish is Brian Yi from The Infected? With a little of Bathias from Keeley thrown in. He's "just a guy that fights and always wins" . Whether Brian's dimension hopping or grew out of this series into his own, only Dale knows. But that's my take on it. Sheesh!

Love isn't blind-it's retarded. Charley Harper

In life, being dead, kind of means you lost. Tor

Don't drink the water, fish f**k in it. W. C. Fields
MarciaA
Global Mod

Unread postby MarciaA » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:13 pm

Maybe Cavendish is.... jake?

Kat
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Kat » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:40 pm

Well, I've thrown in three possibilities before, but, yeah, Cavendish might be Billy from Gwen (the name! It's Cavendish!) or Jake or Brian Yi. All three are possible. At the moment I favor Jake because I think he might have the highest probability of dying and coming back.

rockhazard
Avid Reader

Unread postby rockhazard » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:56 am

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." --Jack Handey
David
Voracious Reader

Unread postby David » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:07 am

Mostly well said, I'd like to add that there is no way we can know what went on in Zack's head during the fight..

I don't think he threw it, and I don't think it negates how tough he is either.

In book two a mere human kicked his butt pretty well by hitting the back of his head in surprise, then keeping it up. All Zack's powers are pretty much regulated by thought, and when he can't think... It's been his consistent weakness.

I would guess he didn't want to fight Kate, so instead of defending himself he ran. Her being able to run as fast was a fairly new thing, so it would have taken him by surprise. Kate immediately went to head shots when she caught up, which would have disorientated him.

Just saying, the above scenario is in line with both his character and his abilities.

None of Dale's characters are invulnerable, they ALL have a weakness of some kind.

As for the beating being a lesson, perhaps that is how Alede take care of things, I don't know. Regardless, she DID try talking to him first, and he brushed it off like it was no big deal. Or at least, that was how she perceived it, who knows what was going on inside Zack's head. Remember he sucks at interacting with people at times.

rockhazard
Avid Reader

Unread postby rockhazard » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:49 am

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." --Jack Handey
David
Voracious Reader

Unread postby David » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:32 am

I'm pretty sure she hit him from behind since he was running away through the mall when she caught up. By definition that is an attack from behind.

He also wouldnt have been ready for it since she hadn't moved that fast before.

So, it's exactly the same...

rockhazard
Avid Reader

Unread postby rockhazard » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:08 pm

Except that, if I remember correctly, he could have just stepped back through the nexus (a previous go-to move of his when surprised at a node, as it is for her), and as I said before, he'd have been reading her Shadow anyway, which should have given him a clue -- rationally, anyway. Also, he didn't go down immediately, so he still could have disappeared before he lost consciousness, then repaired himself in the void. Having been hit from behind, that's what makes sense, since the void is his "safe place" anyhow.
So no, not the same.

David
Voracious Reader

Unread postby David » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:24 pm

He wasn't unconscious, but he was getting beat in the head so probably couldn't concentrate enough to block the pain, much less do anything else. Also at that point he was no where near a nexus.

I can agree on the void thing, he probably should have went for it in the beginning of the fight instead of running out into the mall. But he wasnt standing next to it when the fight started. It was a fight with his daughter, one he ran from rather than try to continue, everything else tracks in my scenario.

Besides, he wasn't right next to the void during the fight, so that go to move wasn't available. In the beginning she was just angry and talking to him. The fight started later.

Also, ZACK IS NOT PERFECT. Making a stupid decision under pressure of a new situation does not equal acting out of character. Shocking I know, but I don't know why everyone seems to expect perfection. None of Dale's characters are.

He was dumb enough to follow the bat when her shadow said he shouldnt, he was dumb enough not to make her shadow tell him what was going on. He was dumb enough not to check for shadows in the house in a situation that was clearly critical, even if he believed her story there should have been danger and should have been paying attention. He can see people threw walls after all. Yet, he was surprised when Forest and his lackey's jumped him, kicked his ass and tied him up.

And all that at the end of book 1, when he should have known better by then. Zack is not perfect, and oh, did I mention, he isn't perfect.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Alternate Places”