Hello,

We've had a recent spat of Russian spambots to our little website. It added several dozen spam accounts to the site and caused all kinds of wonderful havoc. Because of this, we're shutting down the Registration for the website for a while to stop the bots from doing what they're been doing. I also deleted a LOT of accounts that I believed to be part of the tsunami. If I inadvertently deleted your account, please forgive me and contact me to let me know. We'll get you back onsite asap.

Best wishes everyone!

Brent / Argy / ArgyrosfeniX

Mistakes in the book

Alternate Places: A very different take on the Other Places reality.
David
Voracious Reader

Re: Mistakes in the book

Unread postby David » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:40 pm

Just use enough of the surrounding text. Kindle locations are worthless because he writes in word and there is no way to really match up kindle locations to it. TO find it he would have to run a search with a number of words.

Simply, do it how you have been, just don't bother adding the kindle location, it wont help.

Proofreading is easier before the book comes out, since you'll be working in Word.

Hopefully you wont find too much else, or Ill feel ineffective. To be fair though, it's more than me doing it...

PS Power
Site Admin

Unread postby PS Power » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:29 pm

Or just write an email and let me know that you want the current word file copies for that?

I'm not saying much since I'm kind of going into a depressive state and don't want to snap at people.

Shadelit
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Shadelit » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:18 am

Speaking as an avid reader, and someone that has purchased, well, every book by Powers so far to date. I feel rather safe in saying, if you are turned off to a book, or series, by just one or two mistakes in an entire book of 300+ pages, then you aren't really much of a reader. I say that, with respect. Considering I can also, easily, go and purchase a book put out by one of the major publishers with just as many mistakes editing wise, in the book/story that ends up in one of the final versions of Dale's books.

I honestly, have issues with people that try and condemn, or blast down, or down rate a story, off from a few minor editing issues. I have seen too many authors getting discouraged with self editing their products, having a very entertaining, involved, detailed, and captivating story, only to be lamb blasted by 'edit nazis' blasting apart their efforts over a few simple small mix ups, that the reader's mind AUTOMATICALLY fixes themselves. Most of the time without them even realizing it. Such as two to and too, there and their, ect ect. A misplaced ', or even , ; :.

That all said, I love. LOVE. LOVED these three, the first one the most. The only possible complaint I'd have, is a personal perspective, and not one that impacts the story or the editing in any way shape or form. I fully intend to drop a five star on all three. AWESOME work, and.. As much as I hate to say it. I fully love these more than the Other Places.

PS: the sex scenes? Don't even a play a role in loving these more.

Shadelit
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Shadelit » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:30 am

I'll give you that. If english isn't your first language then reading a book and seeing something that's considered off from it would possibly throw you, with it not wired into your thought patterns for it to be automatically fixed by your subcon without your rational mind even realizing it. If it were done in your native tongue, then you'd likely have that subcon/rational fix without realizing it.

I wasn't talking about you specifically downing on him. I was more or less refering to the good reads portion of the conversation. I won't go by anything Good Reads does anymore, simply because of how biased they can run. A single author can expound their books by buying good reviews, and people get suckered into it. Just like an author can bog down a rival by purchasing or having friends/fans bombard them with negatives. It's kind of my issue with Amazon reviewing. But atleast with that that you can have a verified purchaser tag put on. Personally with the Gwen Faris books, I loved them. Them and the Very Good Man series are my two favorites to reread. I reread the young ancients sparingly, because of how Tor ends up getting treated. He reminds me a bit too close to how Suttle likes to do her heroine characters, atleast until the last couple. Before he went all Darth Tor but after he stopped his pattern of being the whipping boy.

Ronald Dukarski
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Ronald Dukarski » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:48 am

Kat, please notice I didn't jump down your throat when you first brought up errors. Only suggested pre-editing. I understand finding errata disturbing enough to disrupt the flow.(I have been a sort of an English major) I would have offered to edit myself, but I'm not very computer illiterate, and have never used Word. But as Shadelit (by the way, welcome to the forum Shadelit) said, many well known authors and publishing houses do much worse at editing. I understood your dilemma right away, many years ago I knew a girl (at that time) who immigrated to the U.S. as a teen and had the same problem you seem to with the language. Since she thought in German translating back and forth mentally, caused her to stumble if the context wasn't clear. Incidentally, her name was Katrina, Kat to friends, so my heart sort of fluttered a bit until you hinted at your age. Anyway... rambling... (it can happen to us old farts). Don't fret too much, just make an effort to help, if you can.
By the way, I like Alternate Places a bit better, because the tone feels more of an adult, dealing with life expirience sort of thing. Other Places seems to have more of a coming of age feel to it. The difference in dialogue is telling for me.

Love isn't blind-it's retarded. Charley Harper

In life, being dead, kind of means you lost. Tor

Don't drink the water, fish f**k in it. W. C. Fields

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Alternate Places”