As you can see, the Forum is now fully integrated into the overall schema of the Main Site.

Hope you like it!

Brent / Argy / ArgyrosfeniX

What do you wish to read next?

Where we can post polls about anything!

What do you wish to see next?

The next Infected (Cin 3)
21%
The next YA installment. (Unknown for certain who it will be about at this point)
18%
A non-fiction book about the perils of Modern Islam in the west.
No votes
Avery book 2
46%
Greasepaint Chronicles book 2
4%
A new erotica trilogy, with super powers and possibly clown makeup (Which will probably be a best seller)
4%
Snowbound Nomad (Of which I already have the first third finished)
7%
Something new and original that proves I actually have some small bit of creativity left in here someplace...
No votes
An erotic novel about the Prophet Mohamad, done satirically. (All the gay. All the Camels... Age his wife up to at least eighteen instead of nine...)
No votes

Total votes: 28
addmoreice
Intermediate Reader

Re: What do you wish to read next?

Unread postby addmoreice » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:20 pm

Pyottl has nailed it on the head.

The ones I linked...are basically the best of the best in the genre (in english commercially) so far. The genre is so under served so far, that people are willing to go out and personally translate the stuff that's in korean into english and share it. The 'big name' in the genre is a russian translation.

My suggestion is to read The Gam3 (the best so far in the genre in my opinion), 46 year old syndrome, and Survival World RPG, and get a 'feel' for how it goes. I'm certain you could pull this off. One thing this genre suffers from is that it runs from the tradition of Xianxia and Wuxia chinese stories, both of these story types suffer in western audiences because they suffer from two flaws, chinese novels seem to have the main character just 'get' everything. They train, but it seems to be 'you are destined for greatness...so here is something heaped upon you that makes you great, go forth and be great!' the focus seems to be on the 'doing cool shit' part of the story, and not in 'this character suffers, changes, and grows' which seems to be a focus of western story styles. The second problem of these story types (for western audiences) is that the characters become over powered...and then have no struggles! they tend to just become a collection of the character doing cool shit...which is neat and all...but it doesn't make a story (in the western market at least).

The example stories I listed have avoided these two pitfalls. The characters gain power...but they are not infinitely god like characters which mow through their opposition, neither are they static wax figurines which never change. You have shown that even when developing near god like powers for some characters (Demons, super powered beings, transdimensional travelers...even combinations thereof!) you have managed to have these characters run into real trouble and even near death experiences. Heck you have even killed off some of these super beings within your stories.

Learn some of the basic tropes of RPG's (you can do it easily by just reading those sample stories) and *boom* you are ready to roll!

One thing that has pissed off some people about this genre is "it's virtual so nothing matters". The examples I linked avoid this, the first has a virtual world...but it *very* much matters. The last two I suggested all take place in the real world. Some others in the genre have used the virtual environment as a contrast as to the real life situation of the characters and have used that to help them mentally change (one story for example has a character who is paralysed from the waist down and in the game he is a powerful physical fighter, this allows him to 'carry over' his fights in game to his emotional fights out of game).

The only tricky bit is making sure whatever tables you use still fit into the more popular e readers.

PS Power
Site Admin

Unread postby PS Power » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:45 am

Wow, so people really want that book on modern Islam? I'd say I was baffled, but I hear you...

:)

obnesence
Early Reader

Unread postby obnesence » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:08 am

I am looking forward to the next YA novel, but also want the next Avery novel.

PS Power
Site Admin

Unread postby PS Power » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:34 pm

So, the winner seems to be Avery Book two. Since the first one is under attack to keep it down... I don't know?

Right now from that list we should have coming.

1. Tony Winters Books 1-3. (This month, unless I can't finish the last one. Then who knows? Call it this month.)
2. The Next Avery book for September.
3. The next Cin (Book three) for late September/early October.

Then instead of any more Young Ancients, I'll start on the ending for the greater arc, tying that up, so that people who hate the cross-universe stuff will be happier. maybe just one book for that?

Do I have anything else outstanding that anyone can think of? Series that need to be ended or anything, outside of that? (I forgot about Greasepaint... I might keep that one though...)

Anything other than that?

I think I can have everything tied up well enough by December at that pace. Then... I don't know. Something different? Something wonderful? (I could start a gift basket store?)

:)

PS Power
Site Admin

Unread postby PS Power » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:36 pm

Right. I'd need to do TWO Avery books to finish the trilogy. So that's a bit harder...

Ronald Dukarski
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Ronald Dukarski » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:51 pm

Maybe it is tough right now, Dale. I can tell the darkness is kicking your ass right now, I've noticed it too. Its when the negativity and the darkness fall in step that it gets tough. But I've also seen you come out of it. One day soon, the sun will come up, and you'll smile and say " Well, back to work". And the smile will be real, and the haters will still be assholes.

Love isn't blind-it's retarded. Charley Harper

In life, being dead, kind of means you lost. Tor

Don't drink the water, fish f**k in it. W. C. Fields
PS Power
Site Admin

Unread postby PS Power » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:37 pm

I'm honestly not worried about people that just dislike the books. Either people do, or they do not. Even something nearly perfect will have detractors, things that are just okay, good or even likeable will always have more. No big thing.

What I think (and cannot prove at this point) is that either Amazone (and why? Makes no sense to me) or someone else with very deep pockets and a horse in the game has found a way to supress the opponents. Negative reviews in a tight time frame that are triggered at about the #500 position over all.

Over an over I hit that line or even go above it. there is a pause for about a day, possibly two and then inside twelve hours or so, there will be negative reviews one after another. Then, after that they stop, as long as the book drops enough. If it starts to climb again (and ONLY if it starts to go back up) then more negative reviews will be added until it goes down.

If this is actually happening (I've seen the trend on my works, but it would have to be larger than that to be effective, unless someone just hates me personally. I don't think I know anyone that petty... So... I'm thinking larger rather than personl.) then it would almost have to be the Big Five publishers doing it. Some group inside of them or a company working for them.

Interestingly, it would probably only take about ten people to pull off over all. Each one with hundreds of accounts, where they can pump in good reviews to Big Five books and negatives to indies at the right time.

IF this is real, and humans in general are good at seeing patterns, even if they aren't there, but IF it is, then it is major market manipulation. My guess would be that Amazon allows it to happen due to back room dealings with the Big Five. (Which we know happen, but are always held secret from the outside world. Why? You don't need secrets if you aren't doing anything wrong...)

I know that a lot of people are assuming that I'm whining over the bad reviews, as if people saying a few mean things about my work is the point here. It isn't that at all. If I just suck, even to some people, part of the time, then I do. I fix that, or fail. Both are fair.

On the other hand, a book that has ten thousand readers over five years should have exactly the same percentage of negative reviews as an equally good or bad book that has that inside a week. We don't see that however. Even if it went up a little bit, having most of the negative reviews come in waves doesn't make sense at all.

If the fifth hundred reader hates the book enough for a one star review, then it really wouldn't matter if the book was #300 on the charts at the moment, or #3,000 would it? Mos tpeople don't even glance at those numbers day to day, do they?

It could have a small effect, but not a consistent one, which is what I;ve been seeing.

The bad part here is that there is nothing at all I can do about it. It's enough to keep me from moving ahead in this career, but even if totally real, which half the people won't beleive (even if people have been caught doing it in the past...) I'm left with very few options as for fighting it. Either I never get to reach the natural point that I should if unencumbered and "like it" or I just don't play the game.

*I get that a lot of people don't think that I work very hard, doing this. It ISN'T ditch digging. Fair enough. It still takes a lot of time and effort. Seeing things being sabotaged, then being "gas-lighted" about what is going on is kind of rough, given that.

PS Power
Site Admin

Unread postby PS Power » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:42 pm

Addendum: Still of people that I know actually bother to read the books, some of them have complained about certain things. Like question marks being used. (More than they like, even if it's done for a specific purpose since it clashes with their OCD? It's a bit odd to be truthful, but has happened from two different people I know to be real. Even after I fixed it for them, for those two people, they whined about too many question marks being used when asking questions as a part of speech. *May not be the same people.)

Others have opined that the cross-overs aren't a thing they like. Since I'm committed to that right now, giving me low stars (if real ones) for that is a bit of a stab to the back, but I can live with it.

So I can bring it all to an end, making them happy. It's enough people that it really does seem to be what they are asking for. They feel that things are too big, complicated and so on. So they want something simpler. That's probably fair. I tried something that few ever have to the best of my knowledge. It's a grand project, but if people don't like it, then they just don't.

Ronald Dukarski
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Ronald Dukarski » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:27 pm

Does staying at or below that #500 spot keep you or any indie author indebted to or somehow chained to Amazon? Or tethered to a certain pay scale they offer? That could be motive. Move above it and they lose you or money...could be? I don't really know how that works.

It could possibly be that, as you increase sample size, the bell curve indicating like or dislike, flattens out and pushes further out toward the fringes so that you get higher highs and lower lows on your reviews.

One other factor maybe that the first purchases are made by readers that are dedicated fans that snap up your work right away. Then as time goes on more and more readers are first timers who have a 50/50 chance of just not getting it. These first timers may be skewing the results a bit.

So, all in all, I'd say you just may have to struggle through this again. More than one of your characters have noticed that life isn't always fair. If it was I'd be rich and handsome and young and single and have a much longer xxxx (male member). At least you're not me. So it could be worse.

Love isn't blind-it's retarded. Charley Harper

In life, being dead, kind of means you lost. Tor

Don't drink the water, fish f**k in it. W. C. Fields
PS Power
Site Admin

Unread postby PS Power » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:49 pm

The first reviews are always people that have read other books, so they are prone to liking new works I bet.

However, the rest of it doesn't really follow over time. It seems right (if you only have one sample or two, or five. When you get to twenty-thirty or more it becomes potentially more significant.)

To answer the question asked first, no, keeping indies down doesn't keep them as part of the system. If anything it would weaken that part of things.

Indies however tend to have lower prices and the top 100 sales tend to stay pretty stable from my understanding. So having most of those books being more expensive makes WAY more money for Amazon.

For instance, one million copies of Scales going out right now would make them six hundred thousand dollars.

If the book was $9.99 it would make them about three million. so it behooves them to have higher priced books for the big sellers. On the other hand, a lot of people will buy a .99 cent book that won't if the book is even 2.99. (About twice as many. I make way more money at 2.99, since I get a 70% royalty at that price or above. So, as you can see, it isn't really about money for me. I could milk things WAY harder if I needed to.)

So I don't really think it's about that at all, just someone's bottom line. (Again, I could just be seeing an incredible coincidence with lotto levels of chance involved. People DO win the Powerball on occasion after all. It isn't likely, but could happen.)

Right now I'm actually trying not to make any decisions. It isn't that I don't mean what I'm saying, or unwilling to burn the world down, just that it might not be the best plan, regardless of how I feel at the moment.

Still, there is a limit. I'm not going to keep working forever with returns that don't match my goals. Eventually, you have to realize that things aren't going to work out for you and try something else in a case like that. I personally have set things at five years or 100 books, whichever comes first. If I can't make it by then, odds are I'm not going to.

Return to “Poll area”