Hello,

We've had a recent spat of Russian spambots to our little website. It added several dozen spam accounts to the site and caused all kinds of wonderful havoc. Because of this, we're shutting down the Registration for the website for a while to stop the bots from doing what they're been doing. I also deleted a LOT of accounts that I believed to be part of the tsunami. If I inadvertently deleted your account, please forgive me and contact me to let me know. We'll get you back onsite asap.

Best wishes everyone!

Brent / Argy / ArgyrosfeniX

Wiki Disclaimer

This is the place to find out about plans for the overall website: Main Pages, Forum, Wiki, etc.
ArgyrosfeniX
Site Admin

Wiki Disclaimer

Unread postby ArgyrosfeniX » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:33 pm

Hello All,

As part of the revamping of the PSPowerBooks.com website, we're going to be working on adding tons of information from Dale's books into the Wiki. This means that there will be all the current, up-to-date information on those pages. That being said, we should have a disclaimer on the Main Page regarding "Spoilers" or information about characters and plot lines that people might not have gotten to yet in their reading.

So I'm opening up a topic for people to add information or wording that they think should be included in the "Spoiler Disclaimer". Participating individuals that have all, some or even small parts of their suggestions included will be given credit for their contribution on the Main Page of the Wiki.

The Spoiler Disclaimer can also evolve!

If, at a later date, another awesome suggestion is added to the disclaimer, we'll incorporate it and add the person to the Credits on the Main Page.

If you have any questions about any of this, please feel free to PM me as I'd like to keep this topic available for suggestions of content and wording. ;)

Brent / Argy / ArgyrosfeniX :mrgreen:

. Here I am trying to live, or rather, I am trying to teach the death within me how to live. ~ Jean Cocteau
bdrosen
Intermediate Reader

Re: Wiki Disclaimer

Unread postby bdrosen » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:37 pm

Unless you can get the wiki software to automatically include a general disclaimer (ie a header) I would only have a disclaimer on the main page and maybe the main page for each book. It is too much to have to have it on each page, unless the software does it automatically. I think you can do this using {{spoiler}} which uses Template:Endspoiler and Template:Spoiler to include text.

As for the warning text, I would do something like this:

warning: The articles and sections found on this wiki site may contain information about the plot or ending of one or more stories. If you have not read the story described by the article, you may not want to continue reading.

For the start of a general disclaimer or the following for a disclaimer specific to a page or section:

warning: The following article or section may contain information about the plot or ending of one or more storeis. If you have not read the book described here, you may not want to continue reading.

bdrosen
Intermediate Reader

Unread postby bdrosen » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:42 pm

Also, I would recommend reading the discussions at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_ ... _sparingly as they give a lot of useful info in that article. (how to hide spoilers, limiting the use of them, etc)

Personally, I think that there should not be more than one spoiler warning per article.

lenoirdenantes
Intermediate Reader

Unread postby lenoirdenantes » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:05 pm

I agree that the spoiler warning should be in one standard place in the article as well as at the beginning of the wiki site. The fans of Dale's books are intelligent and one disclaimer in each place should be fine.

ArgyrosfeniX
Site Admin

Unread postby ArgyrosfeniX » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:34 pm

My original thought had been to create a Spoiler Disclaimer just for the main page, basically stating that nearly anything in the Wiki could be a spoiler as all the character and item pages would be fully updated. Having specific spoiler alerts per spoiler item wouldn't work as it would be different for each book in the series.

Does one spoiler on the landing page / Main Page sound like it would be enough?

. Here I am trying to live, or rather, I am trying to teach the death within me how to live. ~ Jean Cocteau
lenoirdenantes
Intermediate Reader

Unread postby lenoirdenantes » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:42 pm

Since you are the webmaster yours is the final say. What ever you do will be fine with the rest of us.

ArgyrosfeniX
Site Admin

Unread postby ArgyrosfeniX » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:54 pm

Here's what I have so far...

"The pages, articles and sections found on this wiki site may contain spoiler information about the plot, the ending of one or more stories and/or the evolution/details of ongoing characters. Be aware that if you have not read the entire series an article is placed in, you may be presented with spoiler information. You may not wish to continue reading from these items if such spoiler information is unwanted and/or offensive to you."

Please let me know what you think or what changes might make it better - I'm a Nurse not a Disclaimer Writer! </Dr. McCoy> :mrgreen:

bdrosen
Intermediate Reader

Unread postby bdrosen » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:06 pm

I would make the first occurrence of spoiler a link to the wiki article like I did in an earlier post.

I still think there is benefit to having a spoiler warning once at the start of relevant pages as well, even though it is a bit tedious. You cannot assume that people reading the article always enter the site via the main landing page. They could get there from links in the forum or even via google search results, in which case not viewing a spoiler warning before reading the text may be a problem.

ArgyrosfeniX
Site Admin

Unread postby ArgyrosfeniX » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:18 pm

Attachments
SP32-20150122-161023.png
SP32-20150122-161023.png (19.07 KiB) Viewed 6538 times
SP32-20150122-160955.png
SP32-20150122-160955.png (2.83 KiB) Viewed 6538 times

ArgyrosfeniX
Site Admin

Unread postby ArgyrosfeniX » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:24 pm

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Website Updates”