Hello,

We've had a recent spat of Russian spambots to our little website. It added several dozen spam accounts to the site and caused all kinds of wonderful havoc. Because of this, we're shutting down the Registration for the website for a while to stop the bots from doing what they're been doing. I also deleted a LOT of accounts that I believed to be part of the tsunami. If I inadvertently deleted your account, please forgive me and contact me to let me know. We'll get you back onsite asap.

Best wishes everyone!

Brent / Argy / ArgyrosfeniX

Facebook Style "Liking" of Posts

This is the place to find out about plans for the overall website: Main Pages, Forum, Wiki, etc.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Are you interested in a Facebook "Like" system for the Forum?

Poll ended at Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:04 pm

Yes - I need to "Like" other peoples' comments to feel stable with the world.
38%
No - It is an additional feature that doesn't interest me at all.
13%
Maybe - I have questions first (see my reply below).
No votes
Whatever - Could care less either way.
50%

Total votes: 8
ArgyrosfeniX
Site Admin

Facebook Style "Liking" of Posts

Unread postby ArgyrosfeniX » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:04 pm

Hello All,

There has recently been some interest in having a "Like" system placed within the Forum's coding.

After the initial interest, I checked and found a system that might work for our site.

The question is, how much interest is there in having this feature?

I'm not absolutely certain if the Mod will work, but if there is a significant number of interested parties, I'll make the attempt to add it to the code.

With that in mind, here's a quick Poll to see where things are! :mrgreen:

. Here I am trying to live, or rather, I am trying to teach the death within me how to live. ~ Jean Cocteau
MarciaA
Global Mod

Re: Facebook Style "Liking" of Posts

Unread postby MarciaA » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:50 pm

well, I don't NEED to like posts, but sometimes it would be nice for letting others know I enjoyed their comment without having a reply to make.

jjmcafee
Avid Reader

Unread postby jjmcafee » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:06 pm

But I have so much fun in responding!

Never try to out stubborn a cat. Robert Heinlein
Ronald Dukarski
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Ronald Dukarski » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:07 am

I feel pretty much like Marcia and Jim, I rarely use it on Facebook. That's what comments are for. I guess, unlike Tor, I don't feel the need for approval, and just try not to say anything hurtful. Because if you think about it , does NOT consciously clicking that button mean you DON'T like that comment? Or just don't care? Maybe a reason to not like the idea. Crud, too involved again. Hey everybody.

Love isn't blind-it's retarded. Charley Harper

In life, being dead, kind of means you lost. Tor

Don't drink the water, fish f**k in it. W. C. Fields
ArgyrosfeniX
Site Admin

Unread postby ArgyrosfeniX » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:33 am

Ron - I find that using a "Like" button allows you to acknowledge that it was of more than usual interest, and liking and replying it was an item of high interest.

That being said, that you for your opinion! :mrgreen:

. Here I am trying to live, or rather, I am trying to teach the death within me how to live. ~ Jean Cocteau
David
Voracious Reader

Unread postby David » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:13 pm

I've seen sites that have a thank you button, and it lists how many they get in the author box... I don't really care though. As for an easy way to say you agree without typing what you're agreeing with it would be good... I guess.

My vote is still the final option though, kinda going with the flow on this one. ;)

daniel1948
Intermediate Reader

Unread postby daniel1948 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:59 pm

No big deal for me. (I don't use Facebook. It seems kind of creepy, to tell you the truth.) When a forum deals in controversial topics, a "like" button is an easy way to register an opinion without writing a new post. But in a friendly site like this, I really don't see the need.

One forum I was on briefly had a system of "points." Members got points by a system nobody seemed to understand, and the points seemed to serve no actual purpose, except that you could give away points to other members. It was kind of a fun/silly feature, even though useless.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Website Updates”