Hello,

We've had a recent spat of Russian spambots to our little website. It added several dozen spam accounts to the site and caused all kinds of wonderful havoc. Because of this, we're shutting down the Registration for the website for a while to stop the bots from doing what they're been doing. I also deleted a LOT of accounts that I believed to be part of the tsunami. If I inadvertently deleted your account, please forgive me and contact me to let me know. We'll get you back onsite asap.

Best wishes everyone!

Brent / Argy / ArgyrosfeniX

Argy's New Years Resolution

Welcome to McArgy's Power Pub & Lounge! Where talk of our fine drinks are mixed with deep conversation of various "Power"ful book series.

Make sure to wipe your feet at the door and no roughhousing as we're friends with multiple high demons...
ArgyrosfeniX
Site Admin

Re: Argy's New Years Resolution

Unread postby ArgyrosfeniX » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:20 am

So even though I'm pounding out some code for this project the past couple of weeks, I've found some break time every now and then to read a few books... And I seem to have caught up some! I'm reading book 229 right now at the very beginning of day 231 (12:20 AM).

After this quick update, it's back to the grind. Hope everyone is enjoying what they're reading! :mrgreen:

. Here I am trying to live, or rather, I am trying to teach the death within me how to live. ~ Jean Cocteau
martingus
Early Reader

Unread postby martingus » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:33 am

This is awesome list! I can't even read 1 book in a year.

Ronald Dukarski
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Ronald Dukarski » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:56 am

Hey Argy, I hope things are going well and I'm not bothering you too much, but: I was wondering if maybe you'd denote somehow, the books you've read more than once, or would consider reading again. This, for me, is really something new. When I was reading "real" books I seldom read them twice. Hardcover or paperback. Now, with ebooks they are so available, I've started to 're-read many. At least the ones I've found very enjoyable. Almost all of Dale' s, and a few others. I think I'll compile a list of authors I've read multiple times and post it in a topic here. For me, it will define a list of books I would gladly share with others. Not every book is worthy of my recommendation, but these would be. It'll have to be at another time, though, as my wife just called for her chauffeur, that's me. So off I go. I'll get to my list soon. Later.

Love isn't blind-it's retarded. Charley Harper

In life, being dead, kind of means you lost. Tor

Don't drink the water, fish f**k in it. W. C. Fields
ArgyrosfeniX
Site Admin

Unread postby ArgyrosfeniX » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:08 am

Hey Ron,

When I have some spare time, I'll go back and add the number of times I've read a book according to my records since 2009. Would that work?

If I've read the book more than once this year, check the most recent for the most accurate count...

Should be able to get to that relatively soon - just finishing up ironing out some bugs on this huge project that went live on Monday. :shock:

. Here I am trying to live, or rather, I am trying to teach the death within me how to live. ~ Jean Cocteau
ArgyrosfeniX
Site Admin

Unread postby ArgyrosfeniX » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:47 am

Got all of the bugs ironed out I think. YAY!!

I've updated my list: Reading book #237 on day 242, so I'm behind a bit.
Reading some long ones right now in preparation for the next book in the series coming out on Tuesday.

Hope everyone is enjoying their reading!

And Ron? I've started the preliminary steps for that "# of times read since 2009" for you. ;)

Ronald Dukarski
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Ronald Dukarski » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:49 am

Hey Argy, had to modify the list from merely books, to include authors to wit:
Any thing by P. S. Power
Kim Harrison the Hallows series
Richard Raley the King Henry books
John Ringo everything I can afford
S.M. Stirling everything I can afford
Elliot Kay everything -so far
Randolph Lalonde Spinward Fringe
J. R. Rain the Samantha Moon series
T. R. Nowry the Hummingbird series

Now, I admit I re read some of these out of desperation. I can't afford to buy as fast as I read but all of these I enjoyed the second ( third +) time around. One thing I did notice though is that so many author's names are preceded by two initials. Hmmmm, weird. Does that make a difference? And so often the books are actually a series. So maybe I'm just greedy for length.

twips182
Voracious Reader

Unread postby twips182 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:13 am

I second Ron's Elliot Kay recommendation. Poor Mans Fight and Rich Mans War are both very good books. I also like his Quasi erotica Good Intentions and the follow up Natural Consequences. Think I read somewhere that Kay started out by writing erotica short stories on some blog. Anyway Argy good job so far and good luck with the rest. :)

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.

Robert Earl Keen 1989
ArgyrosfeniX
Site Admin

Unread postby ArgyrosfeniX » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:44 pm

Thank you Guys!

Ron - Dale and Kim Harrison are the only two on your list that I've read anything of. Kim's I've read all her stuff and most of Dale's.

Are there any of the above that you would recommend over the others?

Twips - Thanks for the second on the Elliot Kay books - I'll take a look and see what I think.

Right now, I'm trying to get a few heavier books on the list. 400-600 pagers. Want to get my average of pages per book up some.

Still working on that list of books that I've reread. I'm working my way through 2013 right now. ;)

Have a great week guys! :mrgreen:

Ronald Dukarski
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Ronald Dukarski » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:21 am

Well, the King Henry books, by Raley remind me of Elliot Kay, so funny and fast paced.
J. R. Rain is a lot like Kim Harrison, easy reads, but her characters go off in their own series so it can get away from you if you can't pick just one.
S. M. Stirling, Randolph La Londe, and John Ringo are "classical" writers,- very, very good ,but also very expensive! I can't afford to stay current.
T. R. Nowry, I can't explain.
The Hummingbird series was just something that resonated?

ArgyrosfeniX
Site Admin

Unread postby ArgyrosfeniX » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:42 am

Been reading a lot of longer books the past several days. 350-500+ pages each so I'm about 7 books behind pace right now.

I haven't forgotten about the # read -> I'm on 2013 right now, so I should have them ready pretty soon.

Busy, busy, busy and reading, reading, reading!!

Hope you all are enjoying your books - I'm looking forward to the new Alternate Places that Dale is planning on posting on the 15th! :mrgreen:

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “McArgy's Power Pub & Lounge”