Hello,

We've had a recent spat of Russian spambots to our little website. It added several dozen spam accounts to the site and caused all kinds of wonderful havoc. Because of this, we're shutting down the Registration for the website for a while to stop the bots from doing what they're been doing. I also deleted a LOT of accounts that I believed to be part of the tsunami. If I inadvertently deleted your account, please forgive me and contact me to let me know. We'll get you back onsite asap.

Best wishes everyone!

Brent / Argy / ArgyrosfeniX

Argy's New Years Resolution

Welcome to McArgy's Power Pub & Lounge! Where talk of our fine drinks are mixed with deep conversation of various "Power"ful book series.

Make sure to wipe your feet at the door and no roughhousing as we're friends with multiple high demons...
MarciaA
Global Mod

Re: Argy's New Years Resolution

Unread postby MarciaA » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:18 pm

That's truly impressive!

ArgyrosfeniX
Site Admin

Unread postby ArgyrosfeniX » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:31 am

Hello All,

Just updated the count and it seems that I've caught up!

Unfortunately, my average number of pages per book has decreased (244), so I'm going to try and read some longer books before the end of the year.

Hope everyone has an excellent Christmas / Holiday Season!

I'll try to update a couple of more times before the end of the year...

Best Wishes Everyone!! :mrgreen:

. Here I am trying to live, or rather, I am trying to teach the death within me how to live. ~ Jean Cocteau
ArgyrosfeniX
Site Admin

Unread postby ArgyrosfeniX » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:44 pm

This is likely the last update prior to the end of the year...

Today is day #363 and I'm just starting book #363. I've been reading some longer books to try and increase my overall # of pages per book, so I'm falling a bit behind.

Stats for right now
Books Read: 362
Average Pages: 247
Total Pages: 89,461

Hope you all have a fun and safe New Year! :mrgreen:

. Here I am trying to live, or rather, I am trying to teach the death within me how to live. ~ Jean Cocteau
qHnED7SnYgQs
Voracious Reader

Unread postby qHnED7SnYgQs » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:52 pm

Congrats on keeping up with your New Years Resolution. :)

I haven't really kept track myself on a day by day basis, but according to the stats in my ebook reader application (Moon+ Reader Pro on my phone), in the past 904 days (derived from 7234.8 hours at 8.0 hours/day avg according to the stats) I've read 3155 books.

Now, that number is a bit misleading, because what it really means is that I've read 3155 files, and as I'm reading a lot of ongoing serials and things like that, I wouldn't say all of them qualify as "books".

The stats also say 1252005 pages turned, but again, that number isn't really all that meaningful because it depends on the size of the screen (small with my old phone, larger on the Galaxy Note I'm now using) and the font size (relatively large).

I guess the most meaningful statistic would be "220 read words per minute" which together with the 7234.8 hours gives 95,499,360 words in total. The average novel is somewhere between 80-120k words I would guess, so at an assumed 100k words per "book", that would be 955 books in 904 days.

But I have to confess that I'm cheating somewhat. I'm mostly "reading" nowadays by listening to the book via text-to-speech (for anyone interested IVONA Voice Amy sounds very good and natural on Android) so I can do that while being otherwise busy (housework, driving, shopping, keeping an eye on the kids while they play with each other, ...) otherwise I wouldn't get even close to managing 8 hours/day.

Also, the software I'm using allows you to set the reading speed beyond 100%, and by increasing the speed by 10% each day, I found it easy to train myself to comfortably listen at higher speeds (listening at 100% now feels very very slow). The software original had a max of 200%, but a year or so ago that got increased to 400% and it only took me about 2 weeks of gradual increases to get used to that. (Because it's TTS and not just a sped up audio recording, you don't get high pitched mickey mouse voices, it still sounds natural, just very fast.) At 400%, it reads at about 350 words per minute now, which is about what I also normally manage when I'm actually reading instead of listening, so the speed feels natural to me, it just took some time to train my brain to listen to spoken words at that speed.

ArgyrosfeniX
Site Admin

Unread postby ArgyrosfeniX » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:10 am

Final Stats for 2014:
Number of Books Read: 365
Number of Pages Read: 90,368
Average Number Pages: 248 (rounded up)

HAPPY NEW YEAR'S EVERYONE!!! :mrgreen:

Ronald Dukarski
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Ronald Dukarski » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:56 pm

Congrats Argy, knew you'd do it!

Love isn't blind-it's retarded. Charley Harper

In life, being dead, kind of means you lost. Tor

Don't drink the water, fish f**k in it. W. C. Fields
MarciaA
Global Mod

Unread postby MarciaA » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:05 pm

that one will be your all time favorite resolution! Well done you!

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “McArgy's Power Pub & Lounge”