Hello,

We've had a recent spat of Russian spambots to our little website. It added several dozen spam accounts to the site and caused all kinds of wonderful havoc. Because of this, we're shutting down the Registration for the website for a while to stop the bots from doing what they're been doing. I also deleted a LOT of accounts that I believed to be part of the tsunami. If I inadvertently deleted your account, please forgive me and contact me to let me know. We'll get you back onsite asap.

Best wishes everyone!

Brent / Argy / ArgyrosfeniX

Welcome to McArgy's Power Pub & Lounge!

Welcome to McArgy's Power Pub & Lounge! Where talk of our fine drinks are mixed with deep conversation of various "Power"ful book series.

Make sure to wipe your feet at the door and no roughhousing as we're friends with multiple high demons...
Ronald Dukarski
Voracious Reader

Re: Welcome to McArgy's Power Pub & Lounge!

Unread postby Ronald Dukarski » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:57 pm

Thanks, Mickey, must say, things have changed since I was young enough to still be playing ball. Today, if you want to be serious, baseball cost a lot of money. The grandson wanted to have a bat like just about all of the kids on his team have ( only three don't, my grandson being one.) It's called the Mako XL (pressurized composite bat by Easton) and it lists for $249. We found it online as a season close out for $169. So he pooled his birthday money, sold his electric scooter, and raided his piggy bank and we ordered it for him. (Why didn't I just buy it for him? 1) he's too young to take advantage of the tech, 2) I played ball from 8years old in little league till I was about 40 in city league: the few extra feet the tech gives you isn't worth the cost. 3) He now knows what his investment is and won't go hitting rocks with it.) Tournaments cost about $40 on average plus the drive plus the hotel if you stay the weekend plus the uniform plus the other equipment(he's a catcher[as was I]) So all in all, it's expensive and time consuming. Is it worth it? Time will tell, but I think so.

Love isn't blind-it's retarded. Charley Harper

In life, being dead, kind of means you lost. Tor

Don't drink the water, fish f**k in it. W. C. Fields
Ronald Dukarski
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Ronald Dukarski » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:23 pm

Okay, sports fans, just for an update, (and because I'm overflowing with pride for my grandson and his teammates) Blake, my grandson was selected as an Essexville/Hampton All star (9-10 year old division). They started the State Tournament last Wednesday with a win (a 10 to7 comeback) against the Saginaw (MI) North All Stars. They moved on to decimate the Bay City North East team in 4 innings (10 run mercy rule) 15 to 1. Monday, they go into the district quarter finals. So far Blake has had a single, scored once, stole second, and batted in two runs. The entire team is awesome. I'm excessively proud they are representing our city. They've turned two double plays so far, which is rare for 9 & 10 year olds. I just hope I'm not jinxing them by crowing like I am but... they're great! So sidle on up to Argy' s bar, the drinks are on me!

MarciaA
Global Mod

Unread postby MarciaA » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:04 pm

Woohoo! Sounds like they tore up the field!

Ronald Dukarski
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Ronald Dukarski » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:50 am

Woohoo is right Marcia, and they did indeed! But to put it in perspective, the talent pool in the area is UN believable. And the coaches are very good. The next age group up, 11- 12 year olds, were last year's State Champions when they were 9 -10. This year, their first game, only went 4 innings, the minimum for the 10 run mercy rule, and they won by of a score of 39 to 1 (yeah, really). So I'm super-impressed that Blake made the 9-10 team, and have high hopes for his future. But, as I said in an earlier post, playing ball is costly and time consuming, at this level. This is the first year Blake got into post-season play. Most of his peers, having either dedicated or wealthy parents, arrange for their kids to have private training or clinics to boost their skill set. Although Blake has the raw talent, he doesn't have the experience most of his teammates have. It's been a learning experience for both of us. A lot of the parents spend between $1000 and $2000 per child on the baseball experience per year. Even at this level. So, it's a daunting challenge, we'll see where it goes from here. But THIS year it's been fantastic for both of us.

Ronald Dukarski
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Ronald Dukarski » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:50 pm

If anyone cares, the Essexville Hampton All Stars won in the quarter finals. 10 to 6, a come from behind victory to move on to semi' s Wednesday. There were 14 teams playing in the district and so far we are undefeated. Two more wins, and they'll be district champs. So I've got everything my aged body will allow to cross, crossed! C'mon E-HLL All Stars!!!

ArgyrosfeniX
Site Admin

Unread postby ArgyrosfeniX » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:53 am

. Here I am trying to live, or rather, I am trying to teach the death within me how to live. ~ Jean Cocteau
Ronald Dukarski
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Ronald Dukarski » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:25 am

Nope. Very disappointed, they went up against the eventual winners of the tourney and fell apart. We used up our best pitchers in the first few innings and between the nervous infield errors an the " serve 'em up" pitching in the later innings we lost big time... I DON'T WANNA TALK ABOUT IT!

But we still had two games to win win one to put us in the final. Unfortunately, the coaches had used up our best pitchers in the last game,( after 35 pitches the kids need two days rest, by the rules) and were desperate for runs so turned to aggressive base running to manufacture scoring. (But, c'mon, a 2 out bunt with one on?! And trying to stretch a double into a triple with a slower runner, with two outs again? And a two out double steal? Nobody should be that desperate.)

So we lost our second game in a double elimination tournament 7 to4. Done. I DON'T WANNA TALK ABOUT IT. Um, guess I should calm down, or something. Took third place in district out of 14 teams from four cities. I'm proud of the kids, and still speaking to the coaches, so all is well, sort of. On to the majors ( 11-12 ) next year for Blake. We'll see what happens.

Ronald Dukarski
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Ronald Dukarski » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:04 am

What happened to the Birthday wishes topic? Today's Marcia' s Birthday! Happy Birthday Marcia! We need to crack out the champagne! A toast to you Marcia... May all your children have rich and healthy, happy parents. Don't let living in that tropical splendor of Florida get you down, just stick your head in the freezer for a couple of hours and think of Michigan...it'll snap you right out of it.

MarciaA
Global Mod

Unread postby MarciaA » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:03 pm

Thank You Ronald! :D All's I need to do is walk through the grocery store and I remember it being cold.. they keep those place chilly! :shock:

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “McArgy's Power Pub & Lounge”