Hello,

We've had a recent spat of Russian spambots to our little website. It added several dozen spam accounts to the site and caused all kinds of wonderful havoc. Because of this, we're shutting down the Registration for the website for a while to stop the bots from doing what they're been doing. I also deleted a LOT of accounts that I believed to be part of the tsunami. If I inadvertently deleted your account, please forgive me and contact me to let me know. We'll get you back onsite asap.

Best wishes everyone!

Brent / Argy / ArgyrosfeniX

Bread starter w/o packaged yeast

Details of places as described in the books
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
MarciaA
Global Mod

Bread starter w/o packaged yeast

Unread postby MarciaA » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:57 am

This would be good to add to the recipe page of YA.
Oh never mind. That page is gone.

PS Power
Site Admin

Re: Bread starter w/o packaged yeast

Unread postby PS Power » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:02 am

Of course, once you start a good culture, you need to breed for the flavour of bread you wish to have. Some areas in the world are better for that than others, since even the wild yeast will be less "tangy". Not everyone loves sourdough, of course and even if you do, you probably don't want it to be too strong.

For centuries this was done by a combination of luck and lending yeast starter to friends and family, until entire villages or even towns were basically eating the same yeast, believing that their local version was the best.

We don't know about that now, since most of us, if we ate raised yeast bread in the last day, probably had yeast that was at least related directly to that everyone else consumed. (Unless you ate wild yeast, of course!.)

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Descriptions of Places”