Hello,

We've had a recent spat of Russian spambots to our little website. It added several dozen spam accounts to the site and caused all kinds of wonderful havoc. Because of this, we're shutting down the Registration for the website for a while to stop the bots from doing what they're been doing. I also deleted a LOT of accounts that I believed to be part of the tsunami. If I inadvertently deleted your account, please forgive me and contact me to let me know. We'll get you back onsite asap.

Best wishes everyone!

Brent / Argy / ArgyrosfeniX

What to read while waiting for the next P.S. Power book

Visit the pub, or discuss other books..
Korwin
Voracious Reader

What to read while waiting for the next P.S. Power book

Unread postby Korwin » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:30 am

I like this thread on amazon.com. It should be here too...

Simone
Early Reader

Re: What to read while waiting for the next P.S. Power book

Unread postby Simone » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:22 pm

Well, I liked the beginning of the thread on amazon, but found it grew out of control quickly - people were just throwing titles on there without any explanation. Too hard for me to follow tbh. So may I suggest we try and use this thread wíth some more detail and motivation as to why a certain book is so fantastic that others should read it? ;-)

Korwin
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Korwin » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:20 am

Copying (and adding descriptions) from the amazon thread:

Wen Spencer:
http://www.baenebooks.com/p-431-tinker.aspx
Main Char is an Genius/Inventor girl/young woman who lives in an town which got transportated* into an alternate earth where the Elves lives.

* Once per month the town gets back to earth for supplies.

Second book:
http://www.baenebooks.com/p-473-wolf-who-rules.aspx
Third book:
http://www.baenebooks.com/p-1635-elfhome.aspx

Another series (only this book so far):
http://www.baenebooks.com/p-1843-eight- ... -gods.aspx

Mark L. Van Name:
http://www.baenebooks.com/p-603-one-jump-ahead.aspx
Science fiction setting. Main char is an sort of mercenary who gets pulled unhealty (for him) rescue missions.

Larry Correia:
http://www.baenebooks.com/p-1618-the-mo ... nters.aspx
Accountant gets attacked by an werewolf, and throws him (the werewolf) out of an window in an skyscraper.
He then changes his occupation into an Monster Hunter.

Hokonoso
Avid Reader

Unread postby Hokonoso » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:52 pm

I gave up, I've read half the books on that forum and half of the other half not bothering to finish them since they are so bad. I just reread the powers books, atm rereading Detours for the 4th or 5th time (lost count) while simultaneously rereading the Keeley series... again. I love the Infected world but I don't like the different perspective books, honestly only the 2 proxy books are readable more than twice imo as the others just don't add much to the overall story imo, nor are the characters that likeable. Gabriel is a total ass and if he died at the start of his book i wouldn't have batted an eye at all... I think the first modes really ruin some of the other books for me. Self-sacrifice is basically not a first mode at all since it doesn't change ones personality at all, only their actions. But Greed (book 2), Suspicion (book 3), and Anxiety/shyness (5/6) are extremely annoying to deal with. Sure the books are well written but i just can't stand the perspective of these people since their issues are just simply things I cannot empathize with them enough to care what happens to me. Am looking forward to the Prime/ghost girl book tho since Narcissism seems cool for once.

Also to the above poster, if you enjoy the infected series and that genre (comic book turned novel) then you will love the H.E.R.O. series by Kevin Rau. 15 full length books so far and a few shorts as well as a compendium. Ofc if you don't like that genre don't bother, it is really like reading x-men comics turned book and just like the infected series (minus the amazing writing by Dale).

I biggest problem with reading books "like" pspowers books is that none are truly like them. I mean there isn't a single series that I would say is even int he same genre as the young ancients series let alone similar to it. It is a truly unique genre, it is 3000+ years into our future (sci fi) in a fully medieval world with magic (fantasy) where the main characters are all immortal which doesnt happen much in full fantasy novels and is mainly in the urban fantasy realm... so yea a unique genre all in it's own, with space! The Greater Demon universe is a little better since urban fantasy somewhat covers that, but most of them are vampire/romance novels which get old fast, or full on angel/demon without the anti-religion aspect that you find in pspowers books. Don't get me wrong, I love a religion like book as much as the next guy, but they simply are not consistent enough to hold my interest for long, I much rather the anti-religion genre where religion is viewed as fake/nonexistent instead of being something that is real but different than what we even have in our world!

twips182
Voracious Reader

Unread postby twips182 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:41 pm

Demon accords by John Conroe is pretty good. The first book is God Touched.

Young guy with a unique gift saves female vampire and gets drawn into their world. It's not like twilight or any of that. It's darker with some good humor as well. Tor is my current favorite character.. The main character of this series is second.

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.

Robert Earl Keen 1989
Hokonoso
Avid Reader

Unread postby Hokonoso » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:33 am

Demon accords is good but halfway through the series Conroe realized he made the main character 'too powerful' (as if there is such a thing) and tried to fix it and so far is lost as to where to take the series (hence the long period between books) so kind of a disappointment there since the series started so strong. He does have an off-shoot book out but I've yet to finish it, the main character is a dorky wizard of some type so very hard to get interested...

twips182
Voracious Reader

Unread postby twips182 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:33 am

Hoko I agree on with what you said but at about 6 books in it's still pretty strong. Stick with the new book it get's better as it goes on and the insights into the main characters are interesting. It's a dollar for the first book (God Touched) and 3.99 I think for the rest. At those rates it's well worth the read. It would be interesting to see what Dale would do with this story. Darker with more grit and issues I think. That story I would really like to read.

Oh I'm not sure how I did it but somehow I forgot about Jake when I made my previous post. Can't let that stand so favorites are Tor, Jake and then the main character of this series. Funny how all my favorite characters have the same kind of issues..."socially inept."

Robert Earl Keen 1989
Hokonoso
Avid Reader

Unread postby Hokonoso » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:29 am

My 2 favorite main characters are Timon and Pran, but some of the side characters are even better and I hope get some of their own books later. I love Eve in the demon universe, I think she will make an impressive vampire, really hope she chooses Manthori since they are more unique looking. I'll take your advice and finish 'Executable' since you say it gets better as he's a good author so will be interesting either way. Right now I'm reading 'A Warrior's Path' by Davis Ashura and find it very interesting, love how the different races of humans have different elemental abilities that they can train etc... not quite magic but still pretty cool system.

Ronald Dukarski
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Ronald Dukarski » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:36 am

Hoko & Twips, just finished reading first three books of Demon Accords. Enjoyed them so far, and other than the " too powerful " comment, which I agree with I'm having to reconsider continuing the series. And it's value wise. The first two were about 400 pages, after that, only about 200. At that meager amount, the story would have to be riveting. $ 4.00 for less than a half hour's entertainment is a financial let down. I don't know, what do you think?

Love isn't blind-it's retarded. Charley Harper

In life, being dead, kind of means you lost. Tor

Don't drink the water, fish f**k in it. W. C. Fields
twips182
Voracious Reader

Unread postby twips182 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:26 pm

Hey Ron. Yeah he did have one book in there that was short. You read the first 3 so the next book is Duel Nature and that runs around 330 pages or so. You said you are enjoying the story and the next book is pretty good so I vote keep on rolling sir.

Robert Earl Keen 1989

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Off Topic”