Hello,

We've had a recent spat of Russian spambots to our little website. It added several dozen spam accounts to the site and caused all kinds of wonderful havoc. Because of this, we're shutting down the Registration for the website for a while to stop the bots from doing what they're been doing. I also deleted a LOT of accounts that I believed to be part of the tsunami. If I inadvertently deleted your account, please forgive me and contact me to let me know. We'll get you back onsite asap.

Best wishes everyone!

Brent / Argy / ArgyrosfeniX

I'm considering doing a few more stand alone books this year

Discuss the books, the characters.. ect...
wrightl
Intermediate Reader

Re: I'm considering doing a few more stand alone books this year

Unread postby wrightl » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:32 am

Personally, something that I would like to see you write that you haven't written before is an action book. In most of the books you've written previously, there was a lot of killing, and some action, but there weren't really prolonged fights, except in special circumstances. This is mostly due to the characters you write being smart enough to realize that fighting isn't the best idea, generally being more inclined to talk things out, but I would still like to see something like that. The litRPG genre that was mentioned would be good for this, or a high fantasy, which you also haven't written much of (the first books of YA is the exception). Also, I don't know if you've heard of Xianxia... (Dead End had plenty of killing, but the reliance on guns and one hit kills made prolonged fights infeasable).

Standalone books seem like a good idea, just because you have more freedom in them. In your current multiverse, you can't just change some things, without violating things you've written before. In standalone's, however, you're starting with a blank slate, you can make whatever rules you want. The main way I think this could be used is a story involving the afterlife, heaven or hell, which you can't really do in the current multiverse due to the whole 'no one ever really dies' thing.

PS Power
Site Admin

Unread postby PS Power » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:51 am

No one dying does not preclude an afterlife... It just wouldn't be what we think it is. (Only mentioned because people DO deal with the afterlife in several of the books.)

Action might be possible. :) Or non-fiction.

rockhazard
Avid Reader

Unread postby rockhazard » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:57 am

It would be neat to see you try your hand at alternate history/time travel, with the only scifi/fantasy element being how the characters got into their situation. I'm a huge fan of Eric Flint, so that would be a happiness factory for me.

A pure high fantasy novel with zero scifi elements would be pretty cool, because dragon wizards.

The market is small for it, I think, but I'd enjoy reading a paranormal romance with a male protagonist. As an example, Elliott Kay did that justice with Good Intentions; it wasn't formula (he explored polyamory with skill).

An action/adventure in the tradition of Indian Jones would be pretty cool. And any of the above explored as erotica would be entertaining as well.

Thanks for the awesome stories!

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." --Jack Handey
PS Power
Site Admin

Unread postby PS Power » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:11 am

I think I have an idea. It's a bit different.

A story about a man that works as a programmer for the secret government. As in the person that tortures mind controlled slaves into being what they are...

It's a dirty job, and takes a hard man to get it done. But even a cold heart might soften in time...

That or the next Infected novel. :)

Korwin
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Korwin » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:09 am

Will the Mind Controll Story be in the greater Multiverse or seperate.
If in the greater existing Multiverse, on which side will that man be?

rockhazard
Avid Reader

Unread postby rockhazard » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:56 am

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." --Jack Handey
PS Power
Site Admin

Unread postby PS Power » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:01 am

Why does the main character always have to be sympathetic? Likable enough to read about, but that doesn't mean you have to actually agree with them all the time. (Look at the main Character on House for that... Interesting to watch, but a miserable person for the most part. One that often wasn't all that pleasant, if you had to actually be in a world next to them...)

I was thinking of a man that hits that full anti-everything vibe. He doesn't seem evil, in that he laughs, enjoys having fun, and is polite to people on the street. He also strips others of their will on command and is part of destroying the human world, hoping that doing that will allow him to be among the chosen elite when the time for most to die comes.

So, he'd have reasons, but not the expected ones?

Though currently I'm working on the next Infected novel. :)

Korwin
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Korwin » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:16 am

To be honest, for me it's enough when the main character has fun/is enjoying him/herself. I could'nt read the Covenant books, too depressing.
But the above, sounds fun. (But I also like to read the stories on http://www.mcstories.com ...)

Edit:
I would expent - finaly - an selfish character (even the greater demons are really nice, considering) who does build some sleeper commands into his Projects.
For an just in case emergency (well and some bedroom fun, there would have to be some perks in that sort of Job, right?).

Ronald Dukarski
Voracious Reader

Unread postby Ronald Dukarski » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:11 am

Dale, the project you speak of, a book about a villainous protagonist, is something I'd like to see happen. How to go about that is a huge question. Unless you are writing a biography about some one ike Hitler or Kim Jung Moon, it may be difficult. I've spoken to a few authors, who all seem to agree that it could work. But then go on to turning him into a "HERO" by having him reject his original premise, and fight for the "good guys". And it does seem a story from a villains point of view won't find many sympathetic or empathetic readers. I can't see how it could be done. But if anyone can do it, it'd be you. So good luck, I'm looking forward to it.

Love isn't blind-it's retarded. Charley Harper

In life, being dead, kind of means you lost. Tor

Don't drink the water, fish f**k in it. W. C. Fields
David
Voracious Reader

Unread postby David » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:07 pm

Yes, because rooting for serial killers and greater demons isn't enough? LOL.

Cin and Keeley come close to those things. Dale's books come a lot closer to the us verse them mentality instead of good verse evil than most. Some would argue Cinnamon is fighting for the side of right, but really she's just on their side because Brian will hunt her down and kill her if she isn't. Self interest and preservation. Not that he might not change that in the future, if the shots work maybe she won't be as psychotic, but its there.

Keeley is arguably worse, easily, the only thing that makes her sympathetic at all is the greater demons after her are even more evil and insane, and she actually seems to care, even if she'd betray any of them if she had too.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Stand Alone Books”